Receiver for multiple rooms?

jrcrum
Unregistered guest
I just blew out my Pioneer VSX D711 trying to run surround sound speakers plus two pairs of speakers in two different rooms. Now I need to get a new receiver that will run my 5.1 surround sound (8 ohm Cerwin Vega), plus have a separate tuner for the pair of speakers on my patio (8 ohm Infinitis) and the pair in my game room (8 ohm Polks). Is there a receiver that can handle this load or will I also need an amp? Any help is appreciated!!

Username: Rickypearson

Post Number: 8
Take a look at some of the stuff Bose has to offer, they have a great deal of power in there systems

Bronze Member
Username: Mongo

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 16
Harmon Kardon has a multi-room feature on their 7.1 receivers which convert the back speakers into second-room speakers, leaving the main room with 5.1 surround. The multi-remote allows separate selection of source and volume, but a $60 remote infrared sensor, model HE1000A, and an extra cable are needed to use this. This has worked well for me. But this will only handle just a second room, not a third. You will need an extra amplifier for your third room. My advice is that you consider getting an inexpensive stereo receiver for your third room.

Username: Shantao

Post Number: 6
Take a look at the Onkyo 601/701/801, all of which have a powered second zone. I have been using a 601 for about a month, and love the zone 2. I listen to music in the main room and my wife can listen to something entirely different in another room. The receiver doesn't seem to have a problem powering this.

Hope that helps

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
You need a reciever with zone two outputs (there are many to choose from) and a separate amplifier with either the number of channels you will be using (presently four) or the ability to drive a lower impedance load through a speaker selector with impedance matching/protection (not as many amps to choose from but still available). I don't know the Onkyo mentioned above but I don't believe their older designs had a secondary amplifier that would be happy driving four additional speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us