Advice on NAD 3130

Username: Soubriakov

Post Number: 1
I have a NAD 3130 amplifier, and for sentimental reasons and perhaps because I'm an idiot I want to keep it and find a set of stereo speakers to suit it. I am pretty well absolutely ignorant in these matters. Can anyone suggest what I should be looking for in the way of speakers? My finances are limited, and I suspect that many modern speakers might not be suitable for this amplifier. To quote a specification I have found: "The NAD 3130 stereo amplifier, while rated at a modest 30 watts per channel, has a high-current
output stage that delivers short-term bursts of 60 to 80 W/ch, not only at 8 ohms but also with
the complex impedances of real loudspeakers". That might make sense to someone.

Bronze Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 62
Most speakers will be ok with your Nad, nothing much has changed in the amplification world. Most amps nowadays have a little more power but they're the same kettle of fish. I'd say you'd probably be better off with a small bookshelf-type speaker as you won't really have the power to drive massive floorstanders although lots of floorstanders CAN be driven by a 30 watt amp. Most are 8 ohms but you could safely use a 4 ohm speaker too although there aren't that many of those about. In short, the world is your oyster and you're not especially limited by any factors with your Nad 3130. Try to listen to a few brands being driven by Nad amplification at a dealer and see which you prefer within your budget. B&W and Kef are a couple of brands which do pair particularly well with Nad amps - but there are others.

Username: Soubriakov

Post Number: 3
Many thanks for that. I have now acquired KEF Cresta 30 floor-standing speakers. I thought I might get some advantage out of that as against bookshelf - and I'm very pleased with the result. Listening is a whole new experience. Thanks again for helping.

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 106
Good choice! I believe they come with spikes, you can put them if you want quicker bass, or remove them if you want deeper bass!
Enjoy!

Bronze Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 68
Yes, good choice. They should pair very well with your 3130. They are very sensitive at 90db and the impedance of 8ohms and minimum 10w driving power are perfect characteristics for your amp. Nice lookers too, especially without the grilles!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us