Bi Amping HK AVR 7200s

Bronze Member
Username: Aznbimmer

Post Number: 11
Hello all,

First off, I would like to apologize if this question is repeat of another discussion in this forum. I couldn't find any real help in the other fourms.

Okay, I have a few questions concerning biamping two HK AVR 7200 to the following speakers.

(2) Infinity Alpha 50s floors
(1) Infinity Alpha 37c center
(2) Infinity Alpha 20s surrounds
(1) Infinity Alpha 1200s Sub.

1) Would biamping make any difference with the overall sound of this system?

2) If I do consider biamping, what must I do with the crossovers that are located within the speakers? Or can I adjust the crossover points with the receiver?

3) With the connections, I have all audio connections running from my components (DVD, Satellite, Mixer, and VCR) to my HK AVR 7200. Right now the other HK AVR 7200 is still sitting in a box. Do I have to split each connections from each component and run them to the second 7200. Or should I use the monitor output???

Any input will greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Ncavman

N.C.

Post Number: 69
Wow. That is going to be a tremendous amount of clean power and will sound great. But your question is focused towards the 7200 instead of the speakers... that is where the issues are.

Are you going to biamp the whole surround system or just the front 3?

You will not be able to make crossover points in the receiver, you will need to use inline xovers (like what you alredy have in the speakers) or external xover equipment.

Here's my 2 cents on one way to do it without using external x-overs:

- rewire the speakers you want to biamp, adding separate wire connections for low end and mid-high (take impedance into consideration when you rewire)
- install your own crossovers OR modify the existing ones to isolate the low from the high OR you just use the same crossovers for the mids/highs and just remove the woofers from the crossover and add another x-over at the Hz you choose.(remember to maintain the proper impedance!)
- keep all AV components connected to the 1st 7200.
- run full range on the 1st 7200 to the mid/highs using the crossovers in the speakers
- run one stereo variable line-out (or non-variable, your choice) from the 1st 7200 to the 2nd 7200 to power the woofers. (making the 2nd 7200 only a slave amp)

That is fairly simple.

If you use external x-overs that is another story.
- you would still need to rewire the speakers, removing crossovers and isolating speaker inputs.
- you would need to use a preamp, or use one of the 7200's as the preamp and run a loop out to the external crossovers, mids/highs coming back into 7200 #1 and lows going to 7200 #2. That is expensive because you are dealing with at least 5 channels not 2 and you would be using the multi channel inputs coming back from the crossovers. And unless you got some high end speakers, it may be way too much trouble and expense for what you are trying to achieve.

Good luck let us know what you end up doing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thanks NC AV, I appreciate the suggestions. I will do that tonight when I get home. I will keep you posted on what happens.

NC - One note... I'm going to just power the floor standing speakers. The Alpha 50 has two connector in the back connected with a gold bar. Can I remove the gold bar, connect the top terminal (mid's and hi's) with the first 7200. And the bottom terminal with the second 7200.
Will that work??? Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member

N.C.

Post Number: 72
Yep that's right just remove the brass terminal straps. Those 50s are so nice. You should notice great resolution, detail, and clarity even beyond what you already had with the 7200/A50 combo.

You have, in my opinion, one of the finest receiver/amps under 2 grand. (actually you have 2 of them!) That is insane power and headroom and is one of the quietest operating units I've heard. Let us know how it all turns out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
NC AV - Thanks for all your help. Just a few more questions. Inside the alpha 50, does it have an internal crossover? If so... do I need to rewire the speaker??? If I do need to rewire the speakers, how would I do it??? (this is my first time trying to rewire) Thanks again in advance

Bronze Member

N.C.

Post Number: 73
Yes it does have an internal crossover. It has three crossover points but they are not all separated individually. The mids and highs should be on one and the woofer is on another. I have not seen inside the A50 so you will need to look to be sure. You should not need to rewire since those are already bi-wireable.

You can carefully remove the speaker connection plate by removing the 4 phillips-head screws and gently lift the plate out a few inches. Removing the woofer will reveal this as well. Just be careful and go slow.

What you should see is that the top connection for the mids/highs goes to one crossover circuit and then up to the midrange and tweeter. The other (lower) connection for the woofer goes to a separate crossover (which I think is a high pass filter @ 500Hz if I remember correctly).

All that to say, yes they have crossovers and no you should not need to rewire anything for that speaker. If it was a speaker that had a three-way shared crossover (not factory-made bi-wireable) then you would have some rewiring to do in order to separate the woofer from the mids/highs. Enjoy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Thanks NC AV - So excited.. I'll post tomorrow after I tinker with it tonight.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
NC AV - got home too late to do anything substantital to the system. I definitely work on it tomorrow. I question.... the AVR 7200 is a little bigger than most receiver. What rack do you have your resting on??? I can't for the life of me find a rack big enough to fit that monster. I would to keep my duo tone design theme for the audio rack. Black or Maple finish. Do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance

Bronze Member

N.C.

Post Number: 74
I don't have any suggestions for you but others might. Try taking your measurements to http://www.racksandstands.com or http://www.standsandmounts.com to get an idea of what is available. Larger components like big home theater AV receivers and mono-block amps have forced furniture mfg's to make deeper and wider (and sturdier) racks. Its available you will just have to look around.

My 7200 does not get very hot even after long loud movies. That is probably because it is on the top open shelf of my rack. I am constantly changing things around on the back so I don't want to put it inside of a rack where it is hard to get to the connections. If I ever do put it inside a rack I may find one that swivels so I can still easily get to the back.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
WOW WOW WOW... I just finished tinkering with the biamping of the two AVR 7200. The system sound totally awesome. NC AV if you get a chance.. i do recommend using a second 7200 to power your low frequencies. It produces cleaner sounds and provides just about any speakers enough power to process anything you dish at it. Man oh Man.

Bronze Member

N.C.

Post Number: 75
That's great... I am not at all surprised. Now sit back and enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us