Good Speaker/Receiver Combination?

Username: Fthomp113

Post Number: 1
Hello folks,

I'm planning on buying my first stereo system (not counting my old home-theater-in-a-box). I have been doing some research and listening to every system I can get my hands on, and I think I've found about what I'm looking for. However, I'd like some opinions on whether these components are a good match (eg, whether my receiver is too good for my speakers or vice versa).

I plan to use this system for music about 95% of the time, but still want the ability to add surround sound later one. With those characteristics and my budget in mind, I'm leaning toward the following:

Main speakers: Infinity Beta 50 ($500 each)

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR-245 (or, more likely, the upgraded AVR-247 since that's supposed to be available this month) ($500)

Subwoofer: Depending on how my main speakers sound once I get them set up, I'm looking at getting a Hsu model. ($350 - $500 depending on the model).

Is this a reasonable combination, or am I overspending on one component at the loss of another? Anything else I just have to try out?

Many thanks,
Frank

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6680
Frank, what is your source?
Generally double the others for the source, if possible, including cables.

Username: Fthomp113

Post Number: 2
I was actually under the impression that that didn't matter much; as long as it has digital output, doesn't the receiver do the hard work? The source will be a CD player, and I had been looking at a low-end Onkyo or Denon, in the $200-$300 range.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW Missouri

Post Number: 2265
I think minimizing jitter is still an issue.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us