I Got The Okay From The Wife!

Username: Symform

Post Number: 1
My wonderful wife just gave me the okay to replace my HT speaker and it's setup. I'm a 60% film and 40% music guy. What speaker size should I be looking for my mains? Space is NOT an issue and I'm allowed to spend $3,500. Floorstanding, bookshelves or sats? What's the best bang for my buck?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 565
What receiver are you going to use to drive these speakers? Can it drive 4 ohm speakers?

If space is not an issue, what I have done is 1 center channel, 2 Left and Right floor standing units, 2 rear left and right floor standers and a subwoofer. Absolutely superb encompassing sound set up that you must experience for yourself. it is not for everybody as space is always an issue and not very economical nor does it have a high WAF (wife approval factor).
i have had better experiences with floorstanders than I do with satellites. The smallish satellites just don't have that clarity and "oomph" that floorstanders can deliver. If space is not an issue, then hands down get floorstanding speakers.

If your receiver can handle 4 ohms relatively well, I would recommend Magnepans. Talk about musical clarity...you just have to hear them to believe it.

There others on this forum that will recommend OHMs, another great set that will blow you away. The last time I've heard these was in the 80s, but I could not forget the experience. Others have listened to them just recently and speak volumes (pardon the pun)on their virtues.

The there is green mountain audio...haven't heard these myself but they come highly recommended.

here is another that I can also highly recommend and well within your budget.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic80.html

but after all these recommendations, it would serve you well to go out and audition speakers yourself. It is just much more fun :-)

cheers

Post Number: 2
Berny-your recommendation is AWESOME, but I'm sure the wife isn't going to approve of the floors for the rears. The WAF for that is about negative 10. As for my receiver, I just picked up a Denon 3805 and I believe it is capable of dropping down to 4 ohms. Being in San Diego, I can't find any dealer that carries Axiom. some of the better names around here are Energy, Monitor Audio, Velodyne, Tivolo and Mirage. I really hate to buy without auditioning them. What do you think about Energy speakers?
Thanks for helping Berny...

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1068
Jack,

My wife, too, goes a long way, but only so far, to accommodate my enthusiasm for good sound. Eventually, I find, the sound wins her over, too. She comes home with scathing comments about the kids' parents' HT systems.

Berny's recommedation is correct, and is in agreement with many other informed views I have read here.

I just wanted to add to that. I have a long-term satisfaction with KEF speakers, and recommend them. One feature they have, mostly, is that the tweeter is mounted inside the bass/midrange unit, so these two drivers have the same axis. They call it "Uni-Q". This eliminates accidental phase differences between the different sources, and really does give tremendous stereo imaging (or 5.1 soundstage), and over a wider listening area than most other speakers. It is not trivial engineering to do that properly. You never get it on low-costt speakers, but it works. In my view it is worth the extra investment.

My latest good experience with KEF is looking for a replacement tweeter assembly for one of their low/mid-range models from 1982 (Coda II - I use as surrounds). Not expecting much, I filled in the on-line form on their web site, and promptly received a courteous reply saying, yes, they could supply; the model number was x; the unit is inexpensive (they gave the price); and they can ship two (to keep the system matched) for the same shipping costs (which they also gave).

Apart from KEF, there are are a number of excellent hifi speakers based on the BBC LS3/5a design, which many professional recording companies (and also the BBC) have used for years as their studio monitors. Makers doing versions of that basic design tend to be UK, I think. Rodgers and Spendor are two. Spendor also now has a surround version, for hanging on the wall, reviewed in May HiFi News. Your post made me think of that.

BTW. My opinion is that there is no difference between speakers for music and for film. Sound is sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 38
You are not going to be able to listen to axiom or Ohm as they sell factory direct.

B&W, Dynaudio, and Vienna Accoustics are box speakers all of extrordinary quality, with speakers in your price range up to the tens of thousands and there should be at least one high end store in your city that carries each of these brands.

If you have a Dali dealer in your area the Suite line is affordable, designed for H/T and sounds seriously outstanding. About 1250.00 for Suite 2.8 floorstanders, 500.00 center channel and another 600.00 for the rears. They sound like they should cost twice as much.

Post Number: 5
Stone - Dali Speaker's look sick! I'd love to audition them, but the nearest dealer is up in Washington State and I'm in San Diego. DAMN! Thanks for the info though...

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 40
I live in WA and it was a toss up between them and the Ohm's. They really are nice speakers. Call the US Rep 360-733-4446. I spoke to him one day and he was glad to speak with someone interested in the products. The US website shows several Caly dealers. Does Stereo unlimited still carry them in San Deigo?

Post Number: 6
Stone - I'm located about 15 minutes from Stereo Unlimited. I'm on my way now...

Thanks!

Matt G.
Unregistered guest
If I had $3,500 to spend, I would consider:

Onix Rocket HT#2 (750 Mains, 200 Center, 300 Rear) $2,100 http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=11.1

H/K 7200 Receiver $840
http://www.onecall.com/PID_18440.htm

SVS 20-39pci subwoofer $600
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pci_20-39.htm

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 41
Yeah, Onix has a good H/T line but he doesn't want to buy factory direct speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us