Newby needs help -- in market for Rec'v & speakers

Username: Supershad

Post Number: 1
Hi. I don't have much cash to put into HT right now, but the HTIB are drek. I am now considering the following and any advice is appreciated--
Harman Kardon AVR-330
HK AVR 325
Pioneer VSX-D912 7.1
Marantz (Open Box) SR5300
Yamaha HTR-5660

i think it would be for about 60% tunes/40% flicks and I;m trying to stay under $400 for the rec'v and spend about the same - $500 on speakers...any suggestions here also appreciated. but i guess it wouild be for another forum.
thanks!

jp
Unregistered guest
dude i would also try the onkyo receiver called the txsr502. it is their entry level home theater receiver and it costs about $299. it has a 75x6 power rating, it has dolby digital ex, dts es matrix and discrete modes as well as dts neo:6 and the new dolby pro logic 2x surround mode. all of the receivers are great in there own respect, but with the models you mentioned you must have the right speakers to make them both sound great. oh try the onkyo tx-sr601 and it is $499 if i am not mistaken. Hope this helps and good luck!!

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 147
The Onkyo 500-series is nothing special, but the 601E is difinitely worth a look. From your options I would say the Marantz for music, but for 60/40 I would go for the AVR330 wich doesn't sound as warm as the H/K models before.

Post Number: 2
thanks for the answers/feedback. I am really torn on this decision. basically, it's a really small place and new apt that will be home for 2-3 yrs. i can't bust out the big bucks now cause the space just can't house a $2000 system. Now i'm thinking spending $1000 is half axx and i should just ride out 2 yrs with a HTIB. ugh--feel free to weigh in on this. I am supposed to look around later this PM

Unregistered guest
Look into the Panasonic XR-45 for around $399.95 retail. This is a digital amp and it's been getting rave reviews from audiophiles world wide. Just my .02 but search some of the higher end sites like audio asylum or audiogon for more opinions.

Post Number: 3
i ended up going with a new in box yamaha dvxs60 for closeout @$230 @ sears (reg $500). with the leftover cash i also picked up a PS2. it was too cheap to pass and when i'm ready i'll just curb it or move to another room. thanks for the help. i was actually going to go for an xr45 (sears was selling them for $150 or so, but they were sold out). Now how do i get the TV sound to play thru the HT?
thanks

Joe D
Unregistered guest
I looked at a dozen or so inexpensive receivers and decided on the Onkyo 501 (last summer). I don't know how they can cram that much quailty and features into a $300 receiver. Other receivers in this price range are mostly junk. You can spend more and do a little better of course but it seems you have to go up to around $500 as the next price point ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us