Choosing a system

Username: Paulkay

CopenhagenDenmark

Post Number: 1
Hello all, and thanks for a very informative and lively forum.

I'm a relative newbie to the DVD/Surround field and could do with a little advice from all you experts out there.

I'm in the market for a new system and want to go the DVD/Surround route (been using my girlfriends 9 year old Kenwood stack system for too long). I have a budget of around US$ 2,500 (this is not as much as it sounds when converted into Danish prices!) It should include DVD, Reciever, Stereo speakers, cable and connectors. Hopefully, if the budget allows, a small, inexpensive sub would be added.

My main use is for music - I'd say 80/20. I won't be getting rear speakers (neighbours to consider), but I may want to add a centre speaker some time in the future.

I like the sound to be 'punchy' with good bass and treble - 'balls', you might say! To give you a better idea, I'm an old advocate of the graphic equaliser and the loudness button. (Why don't recievers have loudness buttons?)

I live in Copenhagen, Denmark, and a lot of the stuff you talk about is not easily available here. This is the stuff I've been considering:

All prices are the price in Denmark, converted to US Dollars.

DVD
NAD-T533 DVD Audio $428
Denon-DVD 1400 $635

Reciever
NAD-T743 $794
Denon-AVR 1804 $524
Denon-AVR 2803 $794

Speakers
KEF Q-5 $953
Dali Suite 1.7 $953

Any advice on Harmon Kardon in a similar price range would be useful.

Together with an inexpensive sub (for a little punch/bass enhancement. I don't want to shake the room.

My room is approx 13' X 11 and the speakers will be sitting about 15' from the hi-fi.

The type of music I listen is varied consisting of rock (Beatles, Zep, Black Crows, King Crimsom, Bjork, David Sylvian), folk and folk/rock (Richard Thompson, John Martyn, Damien Rice, Nick Drake) and Jazz (Miles, Coltrane, Pat Metheny etc.)

Any info/input/advice would be gratefully recieved. Am I looking at the right products? Or should I be thinking more in terms of Pioneer/Yamaha/Sony?

Sorry this was a bit long winded, but thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 144
Hello, it's nice see other people from the Nordic countries. Your prices looks about the same that I pay here in Finland.

For DVD-player I'd suggest you take one with both SACD and DVD-Audio support because here in Europe DVD-Audio is still very rare while SACD is clearly more popular. The Denon might be a good choice, but I dont if it does progressive scan on PAL, or is it just NTSC? Are you planning to use a projector or plasma/lcd-tv or just a crt-tv?

For receiver the NAD is a clear winner, especially with music empasized usage. The NAD has a full and detailed sound while the Denon is thinner and colder. A good option for the NAD is the new Cambridge Audio Azur 540R, so check it out if you find a retailer. The T743 and the 540R are easily the best sounding receivers on their price range.

For speakers the Dali Suites are very good if you want good dynamics and sufficent bass. The KEF Q-series are great as well and they have good coaxial drivers wich give a very uniform soundstage with the center Q9c. So for a stereo system I would take the either, but for front, left and center I'd definitely take the Q5s with the Q9c center.

There's no reason to look for Yamaha, Sony etc, they might have fancy features, but their sound quality is inferior.

CopenhagenDenmark

Post Number: 2
Thanks landroval. The dealer that sells NAD also sells Cambridge, so I'll check it out. My problem with the KEF's is that the NAD dealer doesn't sell them. And the people that do sell them have nothing else of interest! I'll find a way around it somehow.

Thanks for your advice.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 148
That is often the problem. The only way to really compare the interesting stuff is to bring them home for audition. Not too easy with a couple different floorstanders.

Also congratulations on your new beautiful future queen. They had a quite nice wedding...

CopenhagenDenmark

Post Number: 3
Since I've been reading reviews of the Kef's I'm becoming more and more convinced that they're going to sound like my kind of speaker. They also look very nice.

The Princess, yes. Bit of a big day here. Half Australian, half Scotish. More British blood in the Royal family (I'm English, BTW)!

Unregistered guest
I have just purchased the Denon 4802R receiver and need speakers. I have no idea what to purchase. I would use them for both music listening and television and dvd movies. The sales person recommended I purchase B & W's my budget for speakers is around 3000. Any suggestions there is such an array out there. I am not into name brands as long as the sound is there and the company will be around when or if I shoud need them..

JimmyM
Unregistered guest
Pepper - forum etiquette dictates that you should ask your unrelated question by beginning a new thread. There are plenty of folks on this forum who will be glad to help you when you do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us