HK 230 or Onkyo 601?

Cytotek
Unregistered guest
I cannot make up my mind as to which receiver to get. I listened to both extensively (at the store) and I love them both. I will be using Epos EL3 (Front main), Polk CSi30 & RTi38 (Cntr & Rear), and an HSU Sub. Please break the tie for me because I cannot do it on my own.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 143
The H/K has 7.1 pre-outs and Logic7 so I'd go for it.

cytotek
Unregistered guest
thanx for the response. Why is 7.1 favorable?

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
It's not the 7.1, it's the pre-outs for all channels. With them you can later use a better quality power amplifier if you want. I think 5.1 is enough for most situation.

Anonymous

The HK AVR230 is a 6.1, the 330 is 7.1

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
Yes but the 230 has 7.1-in and 7.1-pre-out even if it only has 6 power amps. So it is easily upgradeable to 7.1 if needed.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 599
Cytotek:

The reason to favor the H/K is that the H/K is a much better built unit, using higher quality parts which will translate into a cleaner, more dynamic sound.

However, you have another problem. You suggest you have Epos front speakers. The ESL3s are a very fine speaker, but are a 4 ohm impedence design, thus neither receiver is suitable for driving them. For that matter, why are you putting the smallest speaker as your main speakers? The Epos have only a 5" mid/woofer. I may not remember correctly, but I seem to recall the RTi38s have a much larger 6.5" mid/woofer. Also, you should have the front three speakers voice matched, so it makes far more sense to put the RTi38s in the front with the Polk CSi30 in the front center.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us