PSB Image B15, Tannoy Sensys DC1, Kef IQ1 - which?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 392
I'd like comparisons on the mentioned speakers. My amp is a cambridge audio 540a. Current speakers are wharfedale diamond 8.1s and Im looking to upgrade them.
I listen to a wide variety of music including, metal, rock, reggae, dance and more. Note I also have a subwoofer (ruark vita 50, same as mja pro50).

Cheers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
Im beginning to think noones heard any of these speakers.

Cmon, opinions please:

-PSB IMAGE B15
-TANNOY SENSYS DC1
-kEF IQ1

Bronze Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 92
Hi Jarvis,

I would pick

TANNOY SENSYS DC1 by a good margin
followed by
kEF IQ1

PSB - not to my taste but remember its just me as there are so so many who would start off with PSBs.

What are you wanting from them that you are missing in the 8.1s ? There might be a answer hidden in this question.

I mean more details, more bass, speed etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 397
I love the diamonds for the detail and speed. But I find they sound a bit jumbled sometimes and im after more precise imaging and a bit more oomph. (im keeping my amp btw).
I just read a review on the tannoys and imaging is supposed to be immense. And looking at the price I just realised i saw it was for ONE dc1. So I would suspect they would be the better choice.
Also with the diamonds the treble can sometimes seem a little lazy and too much (not precise enough although very revealing).
Looking for a bit of magic.

Bronze Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 93
When you say "Sound a bit jumbled" is that at higher volumes?

Yes the tannoys are crackers and the pick of the bunch IMHO.

Even the KEF are quite good at imaging as they have a wide sweet spot.

One more option if you would like is Diamond 9.1 much better than the 8.1s in all respect buy if you find treble lazy on 8.1s then the 9.1s are not far away for the same.

What CD player are you using as a source as it can play a big role in UNjumbling. Also what cables ?- some give a more sense of space between the instruments.

Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
At higher volumes the clarity isnt as defined but I mean generally the sound isnt pure enough. Theres some mid bass missing somewhere and in the lower midrange that just sounds missing. They sound like they're trying to be to refined.

I suppose I can forget the tannoys, it would be the KEFs on the plate now. I simply cant afford the tannoys. I though I'd have my luck with £200 for some on ebay but theres over 35 watchers already.

I heard the diamond 9.1s from various people are pretty much the same, but with more bass.

Source is a soundcard, emu 0404 so its very flat and very configurable in terms of adjusting certain ranges of frequences which I have done to quite some extent. Interconnect is some custom one I had done for me over at headfi forums and works well, speaker wire is qed silver anniversary xt which is a noticeable detail improvement over my old gale 105 cable.

Hmm the KEFs would be a totally new experience.
Kevlar and silk dome now vs metal!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6656
Mp3 files, JJ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
You remember hey. Still mp3 yes, but more in vbr bit rates and higher bit rates.
Besides, the point regarding speakers, I think the KEF iq 1s will be general step up. Do you not think?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 471
High bit rate mp3s going through your sound card with an EQ are still mp3s JJ. Try as you might to squeeze juice from the turnip, you'd have an easier time squeezing from an orange.

Silver Member

Post Number: 401
Fine fine. Forget the speakers. Im just looking for something new thats all. Theres nothing noticeably wrong with my system Im just nitpicking as you could do with any system.
I'll spend the money on my gf instead. lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 404
well to let you know. Earlier today I did a bit of moving things about. I moved them apart 3 metres but that really sucked because one was on an actual bookcase and one on my desk. Sound filled the room but there wasnt any imaging. So I moved them back to my desk and fiddled with my eq settings on my soundcard and changed stereo field back to 90 degress left and 90 degrees right for each respective channel. Then used the balance on my amp and turned it to a rather extravagent 9:30 o clock position which works much much better. I originally didnd to this because I thought it was going to ruin the sound. I love my diamonds wholefully. Imaging is far better theres definable instruments and engagement on the left of the middle of each speakers!!
And I'll tell you why i turned it so far left because Im sat so close to my speakers. Monitors dont suffice as good enough. Detail has for some reason got better and layering is more defined! This is more like it!!!
Im a happy bunny. At Easter :D

Gold Member

Post Number: 6679
JJ, are you sure you can't find room for stands?

Glad things always improve.

Silver Member

Post Number: 405
I definately cant find any room for stands. My room has a lot of things in. Im pretty satisifed now anyway. Its quite a different experience. Oddly different, the sound is a lot fuller and dynamic. Looks like this problems been sorted, I just wish i'd found out earlier by the simple move of one control. (because right speaker is closer to me so is quite significant with being sat so close to them).

Gold Member

Post Number: 6687
fair 'nuff, then.

Silver Member

Post Number: 407
Anyone heard b&W dm601s? And if theres any difference between series 1, 2 and 3? Ebay looks awfully tempting!

Silver Member

Post Number: 416
Went for the Tannoys. Paid for, I cant wait! :D

I hope I like them more than my diamonds or I'll just sell them on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6720
JJ, the Tannoys will make an up-front presentation.
If you dig that sound, you have done well.

I, personally, dig that sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 417
Given the lack of experience with hi-fi I cant say I do. I couldnt miss the opportunity at £150 for a pair. Only problem is I have to wait up to a month for them to arrive because they're coming from Greece. although im currently negotiating fast delivery.
I shall see. Although now im rather quite poor. I'm going to have to sell something to put a bit of money back into my account. I dont want to rid my diamonds because I like them. Anyone want to buy a powerball or battlefield 2142? I might resort to selling my sennheiser hd 280s!! *gasp*
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us