Is my new NAD C320BEE defective?

Username: Rnd1x

Post Number: 3
Hi. I recently purchased a NAD C320BEE (on closeout) and have noticed an issue with the 'tone defeat' switch. For those of you that aren't familiar with this amp, the switch is a single pole, single throw (w/ a latching action) type of switch.

If I push the button to defeat or engage the tone controls (while a source is playing) the volume momentarily spikes resulting in a quick, but noticeable, sound in the speakers. If I slowly move the button through its range of motion, I can find the one position (between ON and OFF) where the volume of the amp increases by about 25%. This increase in volume stays in effect as long as I maintain the button in this half on/half off position.

Now my question, is this a defective switch (i.e. shorted out, miswired, etc.) or a design flaw of some sort that other C320BEE's also exhibit?

If it's a design flaw, I can live with it considering the price I paid (and the fact that the button will always stay on the OFF position). But, if it is defective, I'm worried that it could mean something else is also wrong or that the problem could somehow manifest itself in other ways down the road - in which case I will try to swap out the unit for another one (its doable, but just a big hassle for me).

So does anyone have any insight into this? Or does anyone currently have this amp and can check to see if theirs exhibits this behaviour? Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1678
I've had mine for 3 years and have never had this problem. I'd take it back if you can.

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 86
The only thing you would here when switching the, what is usually called, "source direct" on or off is a short interruption in the signal, the music you are playing, not a short increase in loudness.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10157

Fred - Just curious, on how many forums did you post this same question? I notice this was your third post on each forum. Can I ask why you didn't just call NAD, the unit is under warranty isn't it?

http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=amps&Number=19877&Se archpage=1&Main=19869&Words=&topic=&Search=true#Post19877

Username: Rnd1x

Post Number: 4
Seven forums, Jan

I was looking for a broad spectrum of responses.

Yes, the unit is under warranty. I just seem to suffer from some sort of social retardation and was just trying to get make sure that I really need to make another visit to the dealer. (phone calls are not my forte either)

Thanks for your interest.

Bronze Member
Username: Manc

Post Number: 31
Try emailing them.

Regards,

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us