Does my active sub contribute to total impedance?

Username: Tugunkid

Post Number: 1
I have an active sub (PJ-600) and a pair of 8 ohm speakers connected to an old Marantz amp (8-16 ohms) via a Jamo connection box as there is no pre-out on the amp. I am only guessing the sub being active does not contribute total speaker impedance. Can some one explain the situation please.

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10145

The sub doesn't add to the load impedance on the amplifier but the "connection box' very well might.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jan

My Marantz amp is labelled as 8-16 ohm but is not switchable.

Does this mean it has an impedance range?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10151

Sure. Any amplifier can drive speakers within the range of its capacity. Some manufacturers place stickers on their gear to protect against idiotic gorillas who think any amp can drive any speaker to any volume. Other manufacturers place labels because the amp simply isn't capable of driving even moderately difficult loads without danger of failure. The load the speaker shows the amp is constantly changing with frequency and level so any recommendation is a matter of looking at the pairing and making a best guess as to how it will fair. Some pairings are much less of a guess than others.

Read my replies here,

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/342822.html

and see if that doesn't clarify some of what you're asking.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Jan. Useful info and relevant to my next question. Obviously I am an audio novice and appreciate your advice.

I recently purchased a NAD 3225PE for downstairs and would like to add a second set of speakers. The amp is 4 & 8 ohm switchable as are the current speakers. Impedance of second speakers is unknown but most likely 8 ohm.

The (Crest) speaker selector has impedance matching and states all four on together show minimum 4 ohm impedence to the amp. (Based on using 8ohm speakers).

It will be only occassionally that I use A & B at same time. Am I risking the amp if keeping amp impedance at 8 ohms when using both A & B speakers?

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us