Audio drops on my receiver! Help

Username: Stripdshirt

Post Number: 1
I'm having an issue that I am having a really difficult time figuring out, so I'm hoping for a little expertise from someone here.

I am currently experiencing audio cut outs/pauses when I'm watching TV/playing video games. I am currently hooked up with optical cables on a Yamaha RX-V640.

What's very strange about it is sometimes the problem seems to stop after an hour or so. The only thing that has been changed before the problem started happening, was a new HD/DVR cable box from Time Warner was installed. Other than that, everything has remained the same.

As far as power, I have it hooked up to a APC battery backup surge protector.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've tried new cables and that has not corrected it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10094

What sort of troubleshooting have you done other than swap cables?

Post Number: 2
Besides that, nothing really. Is it far fetched to think that the DVR box is giving a bad signal from it's optical port or that it's got some sort of power frequency coming off of it?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10097

I don't know what a "power frequency" is. Disconnect all the components from your system other than a specific unit which is problematic, leaving only the front speakers connected. Listen for the dropout. If it still occurs, swap the optical cable to the other optical input and listen for dropout. If it still occurs, switch to the analog outputs of the device and listen for dropout. If need be, repeat with the other troublesome source unit. After you've determined whether the problem is in the component as a whole or isolated to the optical section, you'll have to determine whether the problem exists in your source components or in the receiver. It would be considered unusual for two source components to have the same problem beginning at the same time. You can only solve this either by a scattergun approach of constantly trying new solutions or by logically removing one possibility at a time. Get back to us when you've narrowed it down to which component is at fault.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1157
Is it just with the cable box or with video games as well?

I have audio drop outs with my Motorola HD-PVR box, switching from one tuner to the other corrects the issue. I accomplish this by playing then stopping a recorded show when watching cable, or stopping then playing the show if watching a recorded show.

Post Number: 3
Well, here's the update. Cable company came and switched out box.
Now there is no longer a problem watching tv.

PS3 is still acting up, but only for the first 30 min. then it stops. This is thru the receiver and thru the tv via HDMI. So I guess I have to try and evaluate that issue now.

I was think maybe a power issue? Unless it's a prob with the ps3

Is there a huge difference between a monster powerbar 1100 and a powercentre 2500?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10109

No, they are both overpriced crap.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2095
What about Parasound? Is it OK?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10111

Parasound what, Andre?

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1159
Sounds like an HDMI handshake issue to me Shaun. Try bypassing the receiver for HDMI and run an optical cable instead. Since PS3 is almost the only thing with HDMI version 1.3 there's been issues with passing the signal through receivers and switchers.

Post Number: 4
HDMI is going straight to the TV, I don't have a HDMI receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us