Energy RC-10 Compeditors

Username: Josh784

Post Number: 1
I've all but decided on Energy RC-10 speakers for a modest bedroom stereo I'm putting together. This decision is based mostly on the Soundstage review. I'm coming from Axiom M2is, and am hoping the Energys will be a step up.

Do the RC-10s have any competitors at the $500 price point?

Josh

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13573
There's also Ascend CBM-140. But the question is, why would you believe that you are "stepping up"? Are your current speaker set-up lacking? What are you wanting on the Energy RC-10s that you are currently not getting from the M2s?

Post Number: 3
My Axioms were stolen, and I was going to spend a bit more on the stereo this time around. I was hoping that spending 2x as much would yield an improvement.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13577
What will you be using to drive the speakers?

I don't know about improvement, though...it's all dependent on your ears and what you consider an improvement.

With that said, those are great speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 451
That stinks. However, the question still stands: what are you looking for by spending 2x?

And to answer your original question, there are lots of competitors to the RC-10. Ascend, AV123, Paradigm, B&W, Klipsch, Wharfedale, NHT, etc etc make speakers that compete.

Post Number: 4
I'm going to pick up an integrated amp to drive them. Something along the lines of NAD C352, Music Hall A25.2, etc.

I'll also be adding some acoustic treatments to my room.

I'm looking for increased detail and improved soundstaging. I think both of these improvements will come from the room treatments, but it would be nice to know that the speakers were playing their part.

What specific models from those companies should I consider?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 456
CBM-170, X-LS potentially with one of their upgrades, Mini-Monitor or Titan, 601, Reference RB61, Diamond 9.1, and Classic 2.

Post Number: 5
The av123 Rocket RS250 MKII looks very nice. It will be difficult to make comparisons as some products are ID only, and there is no single store that carries every brand.

Fit and finish are fairly important to me, although I wouldn't say more so than sound quality. I was happy with my Axioms in the sound dept, but felt they were a little lacking aesthetically.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6511
Then drop the Ascend option, LOL

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13596
It's an acquired taste :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6533
So is Hemlock, Bernie. But just for a while...

I wonder about the X-LS Pro from Onix at this range.

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 98
when will they be out???

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 478
If you're going to check out the Energy RC-10, compare them to the C-200. I'd be interested to read your review. I have the discontinued C-3. They are fine speakers. Very neutral and clean with good bass response, being driven by a Marantz receiver.

Username: Interlude

NJ USA

Post Number: 5
Hi Josh,

You can't go wrong with the Energy's. From what I remember, AudioExcellence has the RC-10's for slightly under $400.

Silver Member

Post Number: 479
Here is the link for AudioExcellence. $385pr.

http://www.audioexcellence.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=802

Gold Member

Post Number: 6586
Great link, Rick.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6587
How do you like the Energy against the Athena f2.2?
I havn't heard either, but I owe a housewarming gift, and might get one of these pairs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 480
Oh, Energy hands down! My C-5s and C-3s are very natural and transparent. It's very easy to forget about them and just listen to the music. I most often listen to the C-5s and Rotel RX-1053 set up. Mighty fine. The Athenas have a fat sound or should I say robust with brightness that is difficult to tame so they need a well padded room. When I moved to a new house with tile floors and vaulted ceiling, it was too much. Also, there is a bit of a nasal & recessed quality to male voices. I guess it depends on who your going to buy them for. The average Joe on the street would love them. The guy I sold mine to was thrilled.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
It looks like I should (finally) be able to give the RC-10s a listen this weekend. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to compare them to anything else, so if I find something I like equally well over the next few weeks I may be in trouble!

Silver Member

Post Number: 481
B&W has three bookshelf speakers in their 600 series. I don't know what they cost but they would be worth checking out if only as a comparison to the Energys.

Here's the link.

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.ranges/label/Range%20600 %20Series%203

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Yeah I've checked out the B&W line, and located a dealer in my area. I will definitely give them a listen. They recently have updated their 600 series but I don't think the new models have been released yet. From what I've read, the new 600s should be a substantial improvement. I don't even think their site has been updated yet however.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 388
What about the Energy c-50, c-100 and c-200. I dont know anything about them, I just checked the site and they look good. I like my wharfedale diamond 8.1s but Im getting bored of them :S.
Anyone tried/have the mentioned energy speakers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
I'll rephrase what I said. I'm wanting to try something else. Are the energy's worth a try. The wharfedales are by no means boring.

Silver Member

Post Number: 482
J.Jarvis...Yea, the Energy C-Series bookshelf speakers are worth checking out. As I said before, I have the previous C-3 which was replaced by the C-200. The C-3 is excellent so I would expect the new C-200 to sound even better. Go listen if you can.

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
Im in the UK. Think nearest to me is Germany. I might TRY and track down a dealer in the UK. Mind you, if I had plenty of spair time and a damn car I'd audition a whole lot of speakers. For now my diamond like diamonds will suffice. For the c-200 what should I expect to pay?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I went around to a few dealers today, and one recommended the Epos M5 over the Energys. Has anyone heard this speaker?

Bronze Member
Username: T2t

Post Number: 22
Keep in mind, the dealers are going to recommend what they sell - which can, or can not always be a good thing.

I haven't heard the Epos speakers, but it's been on my short list of things to do. However, keep in mind, the Epos speakers are 4 Ohm speakers - and, might be harder to drive with a regular speaker than one which is designed for 8 Ohm operation.

Bronze Member
Username: Sigsegv0x0b

Post Number: 20
Chances are RC-10 would be better then the C-3 or C-200. However at quite a large price difference. Is it worth it? Most likely.

Anyway, my experience which ironically at odds with a lot of people. I had a chance to addition the extremely well reviewed Connoisseur series bookshelves against the newer C-Series. Specifically C-3 vs C-200. Both were powered by a NAD C352 and the source was a NAD C525BEE CD Player.

C-3 sounded larger but I have noticed distinct problems with it. If not for those problems I would label it a better speaker. For me those problems were a show stopper. C-3 had a tendency to get rather sibilant. It also had some sort of problems with lower frequencies. At times the bass could overpower the highs and midrange and create a rather muddy sound especially around lower mids.
In addition the C-3 had definite port noise.

At first the C-200 sounded more subdued. And in reality that might have been the case but after more and more listening I preferred the sound of the C-200. For example C-200 *never* lost control. Never once did I hear it go sibilant or muddy. It was always perfectly clear no matter. It sounded airy, detailed and very smooth. Going back to the C-3 I felt that it tried to overachieve and tripped up very often.

In retrospect I did have a chance to listen RC-10 on the same setup. And what can be said that wasn't' said already. RC-10 is in a different class. It is an excellent speaker. It doesn't take a lot of listening to see it flat out sounds better then either C-200 or C-3. Interesting note is that C-3 actually sounds 'closer' to the RC-10 but unlike the RC-10 it's problems are very distracting when listening (to me anyway). Sibilance and muddiness that I've heard in the C-3 are a huge turn off for me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Thanks for your thoughts sigsegv. How musical did you find the RC-10s? Do you think it's important that they be paired with a fairly dynamic amp such as the NAD, or would they be equally at home on more laid back components?

Bronze Member
Username: Sigsegv0x0b

Post Number: 21
I can't really answer this because I only had a chance to listen the RC-10 on the previously listed setup. However If i were to take a guess I would say it will sound great with any decent amp or even a receiver. Of course better equipment will get you the last bit of performance that RC-10 has.

However as always the logic remains first buy the most expensive speakers you can possibly afford and then for whatever is left squeeze in the amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 484
Thanks for the review, SIGSEGV!! Very interesting.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1558
J.Jarvis,if your bored with the 8.1s which is hard to do,even at their price,they are one of the most musical speakers i've heard,I've had mine for 6 years and its been a many of speakers go in and out of my doors,check out the Eltax Monitor III's,they have them very cheap at Ritcher's,I just got some from the only dealer in N.America that i know of,they are even more musical than the 8.1's and streets ahead of them in detail and bass.The Energy RC10 will have more detail and bass than 8.1s but they wont match them in Musicality and expressiveness the kind of thing that cuts to the soul its a gift that British and Danish speakers have in spades so many dont have this Quality including many that cost 5 figures.The Eltax Monitor III's will give that and up the ante,they are certainly the best budget speaker I've heard,and its a long list of contenders,and I own 2 of them,check them out,oh yeah the bass is pretty shocking to!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us