Athena Micra sub is weak?

Silver Member
Username: Silas92

Post Number: 127
Hi, i have the Athena Micra 6's and the sub is fine up to a certain point. When i crank my system up the subwoofer falls weak and i can hear the speakers way over the subwoofer!! Is this just my Yamaha Htr-5930 receiver? or is it the Athena sub? and if it is the sub could you recommend any under $200 thanx :-)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4383
This is about the least sub that I would recommend. It's a little over your stated budget but worth it.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html

If you can stretch out the budget by a few more bucks this one is worth the difference.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

And no it's not likely your reciever.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Thanks Art for those 2 products as of this moment they are slightly over my budget. The Stf-1 only has 8inch woofer! thats the same as my athena? or does the size not matter? and what about this sub:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA

Only question is does it have a lfe input?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4384
Size does matter but not as much as quality. As I said those are the lowest price subs that I would recommend.

Some folks swear by the Dayton subs at Parts Express. You may want to check them out.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-635

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
The problem with me is i am very style concise :-) I like the look of this sub

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000FBPH9I

But if its no better then i guess ill settle for the Dayton 12" for only $148 not bad!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4385
It's not very likely better than the Dayton and certainly not as good as the Hsu subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
Hmmm anybody have any thoughts on the jbl?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4393
JBL's budget subs have in the past not been very good. But if you're buying for looks then by all means, I wouldn't want poor quality to get in the way. Enjoy...

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
Yeh you're probably rite, but there more in my budget, how about this MTX sub:

http://www.amazon.com/MTX-12-Subwoofer-SW2/dp/B00017P28C

anybody nowhere i can get this sub cheaper possibly with free shipping?

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
How about the Polk Audio PSW10 i found a great deal on it!! Is it louder than my current sub? Is it clearer (less muddiness)? And how would i plug it in if it doesn't have an lfe output?

Username: 008

Post Number: 9
finally I just posted about the PSW10, I am curious to know the quality.

What's your good deal on the PSW10?

thanks

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4400
I'm glad you two hooked up....

Username: 008

Post Number: 10
Art, is PSW10 a reasonable sub for the price? This is for gift purpose to pair with Athena Point 5.

I am using a STF1 myself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
Well i found the Polk on Ebay.com for $120 buy it now! not bad if u ask me :-) But like 008 i too am interested in the quality of the Polk, any thoughts?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4401
I've not listened to it but suffice it to say that you usually get what you pay for. 008 your STF is going to be a lot better sub than the Polk. It may not go very low but it delivers the low frequencies that it can much more precisely than your average budget sub. Better off selling the STF1 and buying an STF2. What's the matter guys ain't the Hsu subs pretty enough.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6499
I want a Miaaaaaata.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6500
Insert your own nasally inflection here.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 418
Just an idea. Try different crossover points, or where your sub is located before you go spend another 200.00 which may do the same thing. Could be your running into some cancellation at certain Hz, 40hz seems to be a popular number for a nasty room node, I've spent countless hours getting my sub(s) dialed in, and actually spent some time on the phone w/ Mike Kelly, the designer of one of my subs, and after getting to know his product a bit better, I was able to solve the problem. One thing I might suggest as well, is this, most people, and I say most because that seems to be the norm, turn their sub volume WAY too high. This will also contribute to a cancellation as volume of your main speakers rise. Why exactly, I dont know, but someone here on the forum may be able to answer better.
I just dont see 200. bucks getting the job done? BUT, I have been wrong before.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 419
And, you may find the solution isnt another sub, but a better integrated one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
Well When i first purchased my Athena system i had the subwoofer placed right next to the tv. Later tho i found when i sit at my computer the thing sounds like a tin can lol!! so i moved it about 3feet next to my sofa instaed an boom way better. The only problem is it still cant keep up with the speakers. David pannell not quite sure what you mean by turning the subwoofer down then i cant here it! :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6504
Koop, that's kinda the point. You should not hear the sub, just the integration of the bass with the other speakers.
By turning it up, with say a 40hz bloom, you may create cancelling waves (particularly in a square room). Bad room!
By moving the sub and lowering the volume, you might be able to find the best spot for integration, as opposed to a bass loud spot of attention.
Cancelling waves may take away the bass effect, and in fact, become worse with more volume.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
But i like my bass nice and high, high enough to give some rumble!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6505
Then the HSU stf2 sub might be right up your alley.

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
Nah m8 too expensive, I'm in school and i have very little experience with Subwoofers and receivers!! and all that stuff, but something that sounds clearer, louder and wont be struggling to keep up is fine for me. I'm thinking the Dayton sub 120 12" looks bad but, it sounds good, apparently?

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 420
Look into NHT used also. Pretty decent designs, will play loud, and are fairly musical to boot.

Bronze Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 59
Why am I even THINKING of a DIY sub? Am I nuts?
A pair of the STF-1s for a half a yard? No standing wave problems with a pair! Musical and good for HT.
I've heard some cheap-o subs and the HSU's rule.

Bronze Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 62
For help in Sub location, Google 'room mode calculator'. This is good for regular, square/rectangular cubic rooms. It will spit out a series of resonant frequencies for 1,2 or 3 'bounces' Same/similar numbers are nodes. Odd rooms are problematic (vaulted ceilings/ odd angles.) From simply a Mathmatical viewpoint, a room designed in 'phi' proportions is near-ideal.
An 8foot ceiling results in about a 13x21 foot space and will have few killer nodes below 300hz.

After reading the White Papers on the HK (Harmon Kardon, NOT HongKong) website, I have concluded that I will be better off with a PAIR of 500$ HSU's rather than a single KiloBuck unit from anybody. fewer standing wave / node problems.

I have heard one nutty sounding solution to sub placement.....Put the sub WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO SIT> Move around till you find good bass...Than put the sub there.....Midwall is usually a no-no. The 1/3 2/3 rule may be good.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2142
Yeah I did that thing with the sub in the chair and it worked pretty well. I blew it 2 weeks later though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
I do like the look of the HSU subs but as of this moment they are out of my price range! it costs more than my receiver lol :-)

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 600
silas, have you ever looked at the Autofellatio Audio BJ lineup? They are right up your alley!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6836
Gavin, you are not helping the greater good here.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 721
I know, I know...lol :0

some part of me just couldn't resist...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us