Marantz vs yamaha

Silver Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 178
Do you guys think marantz is a bright reciever like my yammy?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4373
No.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13548
Not at all.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

CA USA

Post Number: 449
Nope. That's one reason I picked my Marantz over a Yamaha.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 73
No. But I wouldn't generally charaterize Yamahas as bright either.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6484
Then what, if not Yamaha receivers, would you consider bright, JB?

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 478
probably Klipsch Quintet speakers, subwooferless, on a cheap KLH receiver from Best Buy

Gold Member

Post Number: 6488
Yowsa!
Sibilance, anyone?

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 481
hey... I could have said the Bose cubes without bass reinforcement :-P

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 94
Yamahas, starting probably with the RXV1400, are not bright; in fact, there is a bit of warmth to them, if not neutral.

Old wives tale; get over it.

Anybody explain why the Yamaha brand sells a gazillion more AVRs than the Marantz brand?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1974
Bose cubes aren't bright - they have no treble!

You want bright? Original KEF Crestas, original KEF Q series, Totem Arro (only a little, but especially so when not driven by a gutsy amp).

FWIW, I have never found Yamahas to be bright.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 77
JVC is one example.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2039
Pfft you want bright? Take a 1inch tweeter in a box tuned to 10khz crossed over at 9khz powered with a 40dB (10,000x) boost at 20khz, that's bright..

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

CA USA

Post Number: 451
"Anybody explain why the Yamaha brand sells a gazillion more AVRs than the Marantz brand?"

Sure, brand recognition and availability. More people know about Yamaha A/V equipment and it's sold a whole lot more places. I can count the number of places I can buy a Marantz locally on one hand--in Southern California. I can walk into most big box stores and buy a Yamaha, or go as far as a Tweeter-level place.

It wasn't until I really started researching A/V & HT gear that I found out about Marantz, but I was aware of the Yamaha gear prior to that (and it was one of the early short-list options that lasted until the final decision).

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 482
Frank, I have always associated brightness to be a peak in the 8khz area, not necessarily the upper treble region where the Bose cubes severely lack.

different strokes for different folks

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 95
No, not at all. The reason Marantz does not sell a gazillion and has limited distribution is because their owner, D&M Holdings, has a self designed marketing scheme to do so. Within D&M, Marantz is a stable mate of Denon and McIntosh so D&M has chosen Denon, much like Yamaha does, to bastardize the Denon brand in any/all mass distribution trade channels to generate mass unit sales/profits. Meanwhile, Marantz is their designated boutique brand in limited trade channels to maintain retail prices/margins in the boutique operations.

D&M, apparently, is banking on the perception that some people still attach some special pseudo-audiophile quality to Marantz based on bygone days with the funky, twirly thumb tuner wheel. It's all about brand marketing synergy owned by the same company to max sales -- its all perception. Marantz is probably made in their same factories as Denon.

Denon and Marantz brands have had various owners over the years; they have stabilized under the ownership of D&M with their deep pockets and aggressive business skills to give Yamaha a run for their money. According to D&M annual report, all three of their brands combined now equal the market share of Yamaha. I say good because the competition is good for the consumer. I've posted links to D&M before; you can research it and learn something.

There is nothing special in quality level of Marantz over Denon or Yamaha; they are all solid mid fi AVRs; and, I think, their SQ has improved dramatically over the last few years beginning to approach, finally, entry level audiophile stuff. When you throw in the AVR features/needs of lip sync, HDMI, room equalization, etc. plus the very good stereo SQ, all these brands have a lot going for them.

FWIW, at least one forum member on this thread has posted that the SQ of the new Marantz AVRs has changed and gone south.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1982
Gavin,

Most treble units in ordinary speakers come in at around 2khz. In 3-way systems where there is a dedicated midrange unit, they usually cross over around the 4 - 5 khz mark.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 490
true true... I know this.

I was speaking of the emphasis and my personal definition of brightness, and how one word can mean several things to several people.

Gavin

Gold Member

Post Number: 6522
Frank, I havn't heard a Yamy receiver thet did NOT shound bright.
Which do you like?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6523
I am way behind on models, btw.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4420
Yamaha's have the reputation as bright because their poor power supplies are usually driven to hard by HT or music enthusiasts trying drive inefficient or difficult loads to ridiculous volumes. I have not experienced more brightness from Yamaha properly driven than Denon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us