Receiver for Klipsch RF3II & other speakers ?

Bill Hong
I plan to buy a complete set of Klipsch speakers including pair of RF3II floor speakers, RC-3II center, RSW10 sub, and pair of RS-3II surround for $1700.00. I'll be using these for listening to music, watching DVD and HDTV, and singing karaoke. I'd like to know which receiver would you recommend for the Klipsch speakers given my listening choices. Secondly, what's your opion of this set of Klipsch speakers or suggestion on other brand of speakers for this price range up to $2K? Please be specific on the model number.

Those are very good speakers and that is a very good price as long as it is from an authorized dealer. See http://www.klipsch.com/ for warnings about unauthorized dealers.
Klipsch has made significant improvements in the replacement for the RF3II, the new RF35B. Both bass and highs sound much better, almost as good as the RF5. While none of the klipsch need lots of power to sound good they can certainly handle the power if you want to pound. Yamaha's RXV2300 has had great reviews including from Brian Mitchell, the founder of ecoustics.com

Bill Tran
Thank you. Others also recommend Yamaha receiver and I'm choosing between RXV 1300, RXV2300 and RX-V740 Home Theater Receiver. Do have any feedback on these receivers?

Those speakers can benefit from the extra power of the rxv-2300 but the rxv740 has rca to S-video conversion which is a cool feature if you are using the video switchin of the reciever, and you could always buy a better separate amp later.

Hawk
Bill:

IMO, I think the Klipsch are excellent speakers, but can be on the bright side and the Yamaha sound is also very detailed, but very bright as well. I don't think it would be a good combo.

I think something warmer would be a better receiver choice, to help control the famous Klipsch high end. Look at the Denon 2803/3803 or the Harman/Kardon AVR-525. You will get just as much sound detail and features as the Yamahas, but with a significantly smoother sound.

Bill
Bill,

Could you explain a bit more by what you mean by Klipsch and Yamaha being "bright" and "detailed"? Is is the sound? Does it happen with music or DVD moive? Would Denon and Harman/Kardon receivers that you recommended suitable for Karaoke? I'm looking for one that play well for music, DVD movie, HT and karaoke.

Hawk is right about the sound characteristics on the components and speakers but the only way this matters is if you prefer the smoother sound. The preferences seem to be about 50/50 between denon and yamaha. If you like the aggressiveness of the Klipsch and want to get more of that then go with the yamaha.

That being said, I love the Denon AVR3803. At 110w X 7 you get great power. Component video upconversion. 16 - 24/192Khz Burr Brown D/A converters (the same as in the AVR5803). The SHARK surround processor. Multi-room/multi-source for entertaining or keeping the kids happy. It's awsome.

Enjoy and good luck.

Anonymous
would a pioneer receiver work well with klipsch speakers? I'm thinking of the pioneer vsx-d912

Anonymous
Klipsch speakers (from my recollection) are generally driven very easily by most any receiver as they usually have a high sensitivity compared to most other speakers. Any receiver over 60 watts a channel should blast those speakers loud enough. The speakers would distort way before the receiver would clip. So if the Pioneer has the price and features you want---go with it.

I own klipch rf-3 and rc-3 and ksw 12, excellent speakers. definately go with denon high current amp, perfect match- yamahas are to bright. I am looking to sell my setup for 900.00 speakers are mint in boxes. upgraded to monitor audio gold 20 at 3 times the price and their not much better than klipsches.

elitefan
First of all to rspeerx: good choice on the Monitor Gold 20. They are great and much,much better than any recent model Klipsch I have heard.
As to what receiver to pair with Klipsch my best dealer sells Pioneer Elite,Denon and SonyES and Klipsch. I have heard many models of these brands over the years and the Elite usually sounded best with the Klipsch. Denon and Sony are to bright for my ears. I would try Marantz with Klipsch if possible. I like the older Klipsch models like the la scala but not the newer tower models. To bright. If you have'nt bought the Klipsch yet try Monitor Audio, Paradigm, Polk, Def Tech. Good luck.

Bill Hong,

I'm also interested getting the similiar Klipsch set. Could you tell me where you get the deal ?
Thanks,

Allen
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us