Why do people hate bose so much?

Bronze Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 25
1.they sound horrible?that bad a spk.
2.way too over-priced for their spks.
3.people can't afford them, so just brag about them as horrible sounding spks.
4.one could get a far better sounding spk for that money.
5.just another average spk, heard better for that kinda price..
6.bose ain't good at all..

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2012
I'd say they're all valid. I'll voice my opinion I guess.

1. Well they don't sound THAT bad, it's more max SPL and frequency response all mids, no highs or lows (inherent of a full range driver perhaps?).

2. That's true, a bit high on price. Either they put a lot of work in the design or just want to make a lot of profit.

3.WHAT???? The're ok for the size.

4.Fo Sho. You could shake your house down with 2000w and 2 18" subs for $1000. You could buy a lot of stuff for that much money compared to Bose. Some of Bose's stuff is actually not that bad for the price considering what it is.

5. It's not quite average. It has a few design goals which run the price up. Yes I've heard better for the price.

6. Err I dunno about that. 601's, 701's, 901's? Their wave radio is pretty good in using TL and psychoacoustics to keep size down. The headsets can be pretty good and be useful. Computer speaks keep intrusion down.

All in all, prices could use a little lowering without quality loss. In professional applications they've made some dents.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1967
Bose - the triumph of marketing over engineering...

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2020
Lol that's why they cost so much ^^^

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 150
1. To me they do not sound horrible. Just lacking.
2. They are not value speakers.
3. Most people who criticize them already have more expensive setups.
4. Better, yeah. If you know what you want.
5. Thats how I would define it.
6. Not good, but have seen worse.

These are probably aimed at casual listeners not bothered about soundstage or frequency response. I think the debate is futile though. If you like how it sounds, get it! Why did I even type out all of this?!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1969
To be fair to Bose, they do make one or two good speakers. Their sub/sat systems were remarkable quality considering the solution when they were introduced years ago. Bose have expanded the range to include cheap solutions. Price for price, Bose speakers tend to offer style over substance. They are quite limited at frequency extremes (since they don't have dedicated treble units and their subs are all quite compromised one way or another). Other brands are building a bit more quality into similar solutions, although it must be said that the Bose solutions are still fairly unique with their doppleganger bounce-off-the-walls satellites.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 454
Frank, I have always maintained that I like the latest iteration of the 601 speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1182
shane, can you stop with the pointless threads. it wastes server space and bandwidth. if no, please shoot yourself.

Bronze Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 38
i don't see anything wrong in postin them, u can tell from the response.. nor do I and the others find them pointless.. unless ur paying for space and bandwidth or ur contribution towards it..
shoot myself... over a thread.. get real man..
can u get anymore dumber.. than u r...
if u find them boring or of no use.. very simple don't bother voicing ur opinion..

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 259
Why do people hate bose so much?

same reason people hate the yankees or jeff gordon or duke etc etc etc.

it's lonely at the top.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1435
rotflmao!!!! top of what....marketing

Bronze Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 70
Eat a lot of paint chips when you were a kid, Bill?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 442
Sales?

I don't hate Bose personally. They certainly have their niche: people who want adequate sound in a small, convenient package. I just don't fall into that category.

Do they sound horrible? I wouldn't be driven out of a friends house who has a Bose system because it was so grating on my sensitive ears, if that is what you mean.

Are they overpriced? Not really. Price is dictated by the market, not by Bose. If they were truly overpriced, they wouldn't sell. Obviously, that is not the case. Are they a good value for an audiophile, well thats a different question.

People can't afford them? They aren't *that* expensive. If we were talking Wilson Audio pricing, then maybe.

Could you get a better sounding speaker for the money? Absolutely. The Onix X-LS system from AV-123 will annihilate any Acoustimass system for less cost. Of course, they use larger speakers as well.

Is it an average speaker? It depends on what you want in a speaker.

Bose ain't good at all? Again, it depends on what you want in a speaker.

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 171
its all in the marketing. Perception is therefore reality. Rolex has also mastered this.
Its the 5 minute commercials too...

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1438
Don't even get me started on watches. Rolex, yes they make their own movements which is to be applauded, but have also made a name for themselves above other superior watches because of marketing and media. Try Patek Phillipe for a quality watch.

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 27
When I was in college, I bought my first stereo system and, not knowing anything about hi-fi, bought a Bose Acoustimass system and absolutely loved it. Now, of course, I know a lot more and know that there are better choices out there. However, to the Bose bashing, I have just one point to add.

And that is that yes, Bose does not spend a huge portion of its profits on design and enginerring now...BUT, the speakers came to be as the result of a whole lot of design and engineering, together with a single brilliant idea...all from a graduate student at MIT in the 1950's, Amar Bose. He founded the speaker company 8 years after he started his acoustic research. So my point is that bashing them now for not changing much or spending much on new engineering is a misguided approach. You have to remember that all the research and design was up front, and also that it really was a brilliant and revolutionary idea when it was first hatched in the 1950's...

That said, I myself find their speakers a bit lacking and don't buy them anymore, but I certainly respect what Bose has brought to the industry...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6455
A 2"paper speaker in a plastic cube.

601's even 901's, OK.

But the sat's should be covered in fuzz and hung from Gino's rear view mirror.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 471
Does anyone remember that Bose makes bookshelf and floorstanding speakers anymore?

Unfortunatly, the acoustimass series are taking over. The new 201 and 301 speakers are much better for the same price. They actually have midrange and a tweeter.

No longer does Bose use foam on the 201. When I had mine back in 2001, the surround was cloth.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1976
Joe,

We have moved on a bit since the '50s. Amar Bose's designs have moved on too. The Acoustimass designs were - as i said earlier - quite brilliant and started the whole sub/sat revolution. However, Bose's best Acoustimass systems have been eclipsed by others. M&K (sadly now no more) had far superior sub/sat systems for similar money. KEF have better systems at similar money in the form of the 2005 and 3005. AE have a great little system which annihilates the Acoustimass 3 for similar money (designed by the same chap who designed the Acoustimass systems). Same goes for ELAC and Energy. Bose are trading on the name and haven't pushed forward their performance parameters. Even the satellites are beginning to look a bit big now!

As to Bose's full-size speakers, they're good but they certainly aren't taking over the world. The 601 and 901 were groundbreaking and good sound, but the rest of world quickly caught up and shot past. From purely a performance perspective, Bose is the Ford of the world and its products are rapidly becoming Model-Ts. It's a shame, because a lot of people are buying Bose for the brand name, assuming that it offers good value for money when in fact it's not.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 32
I fully agree with you, Frank. I think they are way behind now. I was just trying to give them a little credit for what they brought to the industry. It's too bad they haven't stayed true to that original research process...

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 230
I've noticed recently that I tend to stay away from any hi-fi brand that I could find at a Best Buy. Bose I stay away from for the reason that I don't really think they make a quality product- but I find myself not even wanting to listen to any Klipsch or Infinity equipment as well. The weird thing is that I'm sure they make quality products, but the fact that I can find them at the big box stores makes them less appealing for me. Like their not "exotic" enough for consideration. I know this is wrong of me, but even if they did make product that was superior to something lesser known, I don't know if I would purchase. Is it vanity? Stupidity? Or is it the fact that I gain comfort in knowing that I have something more unique. Take for example cars: While a Cadillac's engineering, fit and finish, performance has now reached the level that used to be owned by the imports, I can't see myself buying one.
Maybe I am a neophyte audio snob in the making! Who knows? Anyone here share these thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6724
yes

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4547
sometimes...

Username: Stray_dog

Post Number: 1
They suck because they're junk. Its always about light opra music with them, never loud rock and roll. I blew out my speakers about 4 times before the warranty expired. Then I junked them in the landfill.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4548
Light opera with Bose...you're kidding right?

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 232
Opera so light you can't hear it !

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1187
joe, unfortunately your point is moot. regardless of past "sucesses" they are still horrible. HK revolutionized audio components with their introduction of the first real reciever, which is just as pointless a fact to bring up if you want to make them sound like a better company. notice your past tense in like everything about bose. bose is no longer a good company. get over it.

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 35
homeboy, if you had read my post carefully, as well as my response to Frank, you'd understand that we are in agreement. I wouldn't buy anything from Bose today, and I wasn't trying to make them sound like a good company now. I was just giving them the only bit of credit that they deserve, which is for bringing great things to the industry in the past. If more people just took it at that and left it, they wouldn't get so worked up about it, as you appear to be.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3420
LOL, Just read what it says below my using name!

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3421

Bollocks does it waste bandwidth no more or less then the frequency range of Bose loudspeaker!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1188
joe, i just want us to get over all these bose sucks threads simply because it is old news and really useless like i said before. to be honest, you did seem like you were making a defense for bose, which to me adds more to this useless thread. thank god shane has brightened up and is asking some real questions.

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3424
I think its cool beats the ODEON WET FISH!

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 423
I remember end of 2005 on my holiday to Florida there was a Bose 2.1 system in the villa(acoustimass i think). I was like wow! Then I played something on it and was really dissapointed. Their marketing certainly counts for something. I'll admit they went pretty loud but there was a lot of bass flappering from the subwoofer. Theres no magic in that system.

I'll admit I quite liked some headphones I tried in store once. And the bose sound dock is pretty good for its size.

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 114
"Bose - the triumph of marketing over engineering..."
Frank

Frank, you nailed it. Pithy and precise. I likes that.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 424
What would be cool, is if bose took that slogan and used it realising how poor most of their systems are. Imagine an advert, with that at the *end*, followed by a new plan and confession to enter a new market. Problem is thinking of one.

'better sound through research' (just like most real audio companies do) is an appauling slogan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us