Are looks important for a speaker?

Username: Shane24

Post Number: 9
Are looks important for a speaker to sell, i guess not, its just the sound thats paramount..
Well, it also would be nice if it were appealing, as the sound were...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4341
You appear to have answered your own question...just thinkin' out loud I guess.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1955
Looks are a very important aspect of a speaker to sell. More often than not a speaker has to pass the looks test before it'll even be allowed in the demo room.

So looks are very important indeed.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 912
Ask by wife if looks are important.

Silver Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 146
Some people demand their speakers to be eye candy and others like speakers that don't really draw any attention to themselves.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1959
Quinn,

But in both cases, the looks count! :-)

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1630
Another utterly useless thread started by Shane.

Thanks. After reading the few threads you're started, everyone here is now that much dumber.

Bronze Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 12
great... ur showing a lot of room for improvement stu pitt... u must be really smart then... or dumbest if i must say...

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1417
Wilson speakers are some of the ugliest I have ever seen. That being said they are one of the best sounding I have heard.

Looks are just icing on the cake for me.

Actually some people like icing better than the cake.

hmmm

I give up.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1284
Norma Jean would never have become Marilyn Monroe if she had a voice like Don Knotts. But then . . .

Stu - I think your friend Shane likes to hear the sound of his own typing.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1181
it is threads like these i wish i had a "delete" button. what an idiot.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 445
to each their own Joe... I think the Wilson Duettes are damn nice looking speakers, especially in Wilsongloss...

but I will still take a pair of Thiels, MartinLogans, Avalons, or VonSchweikerts any day over Wilsons in the looks department.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 415
I like speakers that have on short skirts, high heels, and not too much make-up, problem is I never really hear what the heck the speach is about, ya know, too busy following the sexy curves than really listening.
Thats just me though.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1541
Sorry Quinn,everyone dosent show the same fugly and blane idea's as David F. and the rest of the Ascend design crew when it comes to speakers looks.Hey your whole crew will crossover soon enough Mark & av123 are paitiently waiting for all you guys as 1st time customers,its gonna happen and hey you get a A for effort,knowone will ever call you unloyal,I always wondered if you guys women were ugly to,Eye Candy cant be to high on you guys agenda.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1542
Besides,Quinn looks doesent have to draw attention to speakers,lack of bass and bright highs always do that, What am I talking about you own Ascend,you know that better than anyone!

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 454
Box with drive units in. I don't see a problem. Everyone knows what speakers look like.

Stick paper cups on top, painted black. Then you can tell your friends, they are special skyward pointing ports.

I dunno. As long as they're made of wood and blend in with my room, AND sound good, I'm happy.

V

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6462
Piano Black looks classy. The PsbStratus sound good too, now that I have changed the tweeters, moved them 14 times and replaced every componant that I own.

But they are still Piano Black.

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 87
Just a thought on the op. Well yes looks are important!!! But clearly if we are talking about sound not the most important. think of it this way two speakers same model brand and type and both free...one immaculate the other beat-up scratched which one will you take??? lol the idea for me is trying to find a speaker like that girl in high school nice on the inside and lovely to look at just my my .02

Username: Buck2515

BALTIMORE, MD US

Post Number: 3
Absolutely. unless they are in-wall. But who would do that anyway for music listening?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 485
This is a bit of a daft post..because all audiophiles and enthusiasts care about speakers looks.

If you had quad11s covered in black plastic vaneer they wouldnt be anywhere near as popular I bet with their 7 coats of high gloss laquer finish!!

Just as an example.

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 254
For most Amercians, aesthetics are more important than substance. Why do you think the billion dollar weight loss industry is so fat?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1060
"For most Amercians, aesthetics are more important than substance."

...as opposed to the rest of the world, which of course, only uses their superior intellect & morality to guide their choices. Their superior sense of aesthetics never even comes into play.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 612
Well duh Chris. Haven't you ever seen those ugly B&W 800 series speakers with their ugly vinyl finishes...wait...

As far as the OP is concerned: as long as I don't find a speaker objectionable from an aesthetic standpoint, I'd buy it. Of course, if I were dropping 20k on a pair of speakers, I would expect something other than a cheap vinyl finish.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1061
...I'm sure none of us overweight mall-sloths would ever even consider what a McIntosh MA2275 might sound like, we just get mesmerized by those big blue meters, and then we want it, right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7429
Mounted in a Cadllac Escalade, LOL!!!

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1062
On an entirely different subject, does anyone here watch House? If so, do you recognise the speakers behind his desk in his office? It's driving me crazy, I know I've seen them before.

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
"...I'm sure none of us overweight mall-sloths would ever even consider what a McIntosh MA2275 might sound like, we just get mesmerized by those big blue meters, and then we want it, right?"C.Molloy
I said most, not all. First learn to read with comprehension.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1064
How do you pronounce that big word? Com-pre-hen-sion? I'll look it up. Thanks.

I consider myself like "most Americans", is that bad in your opinion?

I don't buy that "most Americans" are as shallow as your post implies. Perhaps smart companies, that build quality products, approach aesthetics as being part of the whole, not something that simply dresses up a poor product, and "most American" consumers recognise that.

Can you explain your comment of the billion-dollar weight-loss industry being so fat? Am I to understand that it is somehow bad that Americans want to loose weight to look good? Don't "most Americans" that loose weight concurrently wind-up improving several key health factors, may that be a consideration as well, or is that also over the heads of "most Americans"?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 614
Chris: Indeed I do watch House. There was actually a thread on AVSforum regarding this. As I recall, the conclusion was that they were a set of HTIB Panasonic speakers sold in Europe. I have to say I was disappointed by that.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1065
Stephen,

Thanks, I took your lead, did a little digging, and have come to a different conclusion. I think they are indeed part of a HTIB, however, I believe they are part of this Philips MX5600D package

Upload

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 615
Yeah thats the one. I knew it was some P brand, just mixed it up :-) Either way, we aren't talking about high quality stuff.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1066
Somehow I don't think these would be up to snuff for Dr. Gregory House.

He also had his stereo equipment stonen from his apartment in one episode, can't remember what it was though.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 616
I don't think those speakers are up to snuff for anyone who enjoys music...

Don't think I've ever really noticed his home stereo though.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1067
I have to admit, I'm often impressed by the sound of some of these HTIB. Often for under $500, sometimes considerably less, they absolutely would fit the bill for my current HT needs. I rarely (actually never) have the need or desire to crank-up episodes of House or Law & Order these days.

Music? Well that's another story.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1068
Did you see The Departed? If so, did you notice the McIntosh set-up the Matt Damon character had in his apartment? This had to be Scorsese's doing, I take it the man knows his way around a stereo shop..

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 698
MartinLogans have appeared in many areas as well... Just a few examples:

First Wives Club (Quest-REquest)
Sex and the City (aeon)
the Italian Job (odessey or prodigy)
Friends (aerius)

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1069
What was interesting about The Departed was that I don't think this was a classic case of product placement, I think Scorsese is simply a fan of McIntosh and saw an opportunity to give a GREAT American-built (if no-longer American-owned) product a few seconds of front & center in one of his films.

I want back & forth with Jan a while back about this, but I still think the Hi-Fi industry big-boys are doing themselves a disservice by not advertising on TV, particularly with sports & home improvement shows. If it works for Bose, then it can work for Paradigm or B&W, or even McIntosh (but I suspect McIntosh sells everything it can produce anyway).

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 617
Can't say I've seen The Departed. Sadly the most common speakers I notice on TV are the likes of Bose and CV.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1070
Advertising in Hi-Fi magazines is pointless to an extent, as one can presume that you are preaching to the choir.

The public needs to know that Bose is NOT the alpha & omega of home audio. Ask the average person to name an audio company, and I bet 9/10 name Bose first, and would have a hard time naming any others, why? advertising, day & night, relentless advertising.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7437
Or nobody gives a shite.
Most would say ipod, my guess, unless you state the question in distinct terms(which would net a 50% ipod answer).
My ipod arrived in the mail yesterday.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1071
Nuck,

I think people care, but are woefully ill-informed as to their choices. The fact that big-box store usually carry crap that you're forced to auditioned under even crappier conditions doesn't help the matter. Neither does the fact that higher-end specialty shops are pretty scarce these days, at least in my neck of the woods.

Which iPod did you get? Are you upgrading the headphones? I got a new Creative Zen:M 30GB a few weeks ago.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7442
Chris, I got a 30g video ipod free with Holiday Inn points

I will shop for some cans, but nothing too bulky, they will see a lot of travel. Looking into the FLAC conversion methods.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2173
Nuck,

If, by travel, you mean air travel, consider the Sennheizer PXC noise cancelling series. I use the PXC250s and they really have an effect on how I feel at the end of a flight, whether it's short or not. I even use them in the office without music playing sometimes, just to cut out the sound of the air conditioning. They definitely help me stay more alert, or become less tired, whichever way to look at it.

If you want in-ear I've heard very good things said about the higher end Shures.

As to House, in the first series I remember him playing records on a SOTA record deck. I find it astonishing (and very disappointing) that this was paired with a low end HTIB system.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1072
Nuck,

I have the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3, and while they are very good sounding, I can't get a good in-ear fit. These are the only decent in-ear I've owned (I had some Sonys that were even worse fitting), so I don't have much to compare them to other than over-ear supraural Grados & Sennheisers. Let us know which you decide to get.

Frank,

Was that in his office or apartment? This is the episode I'm talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_%28House_episode%29

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2179
IIRC in his office. I think the episode was "Who's your daddy?" towards the end of season two.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1884
It's definitely a Sota deck. I didn't notice the TT until at the end of an episode I saw Sota Turntables listed in at the end of the credits. The TT is on a table/shelf behind him when he's at his desk.

He's also listened to the TT through headphones, and at his home.

The speakers he has in his office drove me crazy too. I thought they mey have been either a Monitor Audio or Linn speaker. They've both made some stuff in the past that looked similar to what he's got. Now that I know what they are, it's a HUGE let down.

Didn't I start a thread about Hifi products on TV/Movies?

Nuck,

I have a pair of Emyotic ER6i in ear headphones I use with my iPod. They work great for me when traveling. I've tried a few friends and travel partners noise cancelling headphones, and they don't come close to keeping out noise compared to mine. If you look around the net, you can probably find them for about $75. In a very stupid business move IMO, Etymotic stopped selling them to everyone and now is basically internet direct. They also jacked up the price.

I also have a pair of Etymotic ER4S. They're significantly better than the ER6i, but need an external amp. They also cost more.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh784

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 73
I've had a pair of ER6i for a few years, and have been pretty pleased with them.

Another option, almost equivalent to the ER4S is the ER4P, which does not require an amp. OR you can buy the adapter for the 4S which makes them identical to the 4P.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1892
Great point Josh. I forgot about the adapter. Any idea how the 4P sounds compared to the 4S? Does the adapter cause any sonic problems?

Bronze Member
Username: Josh784

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 74
I don't have any first-hand experience with either of the ER-4 series, let alone the adapter. From all reports I've read, however, the adapter doesn't cause any sonic problems whatsoever.

Also (based on what I've read), the 4S is a more accurate and slightly more dynamic earphone than the 4P. The 4P is pretty close though, and significantly better than the ER-6i. I remember one owner, who'd owned both the 6i and 4P, describing the 6i as having 80% of the performance of the 4P. Considering the price difference, that was good enough for me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
Molloy, you don't have to be a social-scientist to realize the current trends in consumer purchasing habits. Whether you accept the facts is up to you. Most Americans make purchasing decisions based on superficial impressions. Ask your local car salesman or woman about impulse buying.Oh, by the way, sorry if the word comprehension was too sophisticated for you. How about reading with understanding? Better?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1079
Jones,

"Molloy, you don't have to be a social-scientist to realize the current trends in consumer purchasing habits."

But it helps.

"Whether you accept the facts is up to you. Most Americans make purchasing decisions based on superficial impressions."

Point me to those facts, because I don't buy it.

"Ask your local car salesman or woman about impulse buying."

A car salesman's or woman's (wouldn't want to leave them out) opinion is not a fact.

Has anyone here ever purchased a car on an impulse, because I haven't? I research the thing to death & then shop around for the best price. Am I the exception?...although there was that one time with that Bugatti, and the Lake House, but those shouldn't count.

"Oh, by the way, sorry if the word comprehension was too sophisticated for you. How about reading with understanding? Better?"

OK, you've got me, I'm illiterate! I've said it! Are you happy now?

What were we talking about? I also have A.D.D. ?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2184
Pardon?

Silver Member

Post Number: 258
Congratulations Molloy. Admitting your problems is a good first step in tackling them. Are you really that naive about America's buying habits?If you are, no amount of hard data will aid your analysis. Be happy with your distorted view of your fellow Americans.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1080
That's me, Mr. Naivete, say it again and I'll tell ya the same.

I know it might seem futile to someone as savvy as yourself, but try to enlighten me, point me to any hard data that backs up your claims, preferably one with small words & big pictures.

Who exactly has the distorted view of their fellow Americans here Jim Bob?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7505
WTF?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4882
Excellent response Chris. Jim Bob I agree to a point with what yor saying. America at times seems to be an "American Idol" culture but it seems to me to be a bit more complex than that, only a bit mind you, but at least that much.

Superficiality often dominates our society, from our photo op politics to our love of pop culture often to the detriment of our public life and artistsic community. As much as that may be so, so too is the fact that political movements and art of all sorts thrive here. In spite of ourselves or maybe thanks to the diverse fabric that makes America what it is we still have polar opposite ideas and lifestyles existing side by side often oblivious of each others existance.

Those who bought their car or clothes for looks or because of the label will be stitting next to the folks who buy from Goodwill and I for one won't know the difference.

Perhaps we're not as superficial as it appears or perhaps some of us are more oblivious...who knows.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1081
...Who knows?

The Shadow Knows!

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
Well if you guys really think most Americans buy the way you do, you're living in a dream world. May God bless you and enjoy it.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 120
I had to buy another pair of Wharfedale Opus 2, this time in the high gloss Rosewood. The ball and chain wanted new funiture (in a dark cherry finish) and apparently my Piano Black Wharfedale Opus 2......."clashed" with the new furniture

Personally, I thought the Piano black gloss and the new dark cherry furniture looked pretty damn cool! But what do I know, I'm a man...lol!

So after much polite debating, I bought the Opus 2 in the Rosewood. Dang woman!

So yeah, aesthetic appeal will come into play, someetimes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
Jim Bob Jones can babble all he wants, but there are an awful lot of people on this planet, not living in North America; who are extremely shallow, pretentious and superficial.

It's no coincidence France, Italy, UK ...etc, are a poplular runway model's favorite stroll.

We here in America sure have our share.

The funny thing, is when someone like Jim Bob Jones generalizes Americans, in this way. Because you'll hear other Brits (and people from other countries) stereotype Americans as uncivilized, rowdy, and unrefined.

Wonder which stereotype we really are

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4896
Yep...

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1082
...I'm still waiting for that hard data.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7524
This just in from Canada.

Yanks have piss beer.

Unsteady film at 11.

Username: Joe11ee

Post Number: 5
"im just dropping by,nice post!"

http://www.downloadsuite.org

Gold Member

Post Number: 7533
Thanks for the thick slice of spam, you fuking troll.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1085
..."piss beer"

Them is fight'n words!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7544
Dueling pissing weenies at dawn, Malloy.
Name in the snow!

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 228
Count me in. Does it count if the name is in Mrs. Stryvn's handwriting or is that instant disqualification?

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1087
...now this is geting weird.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 229
Sorry

I can't argue with Nuck though. Yank beer sucks.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1090
Come on, let's not go down this road.

There are more quality beers produced in the States these days than just about anywhere else on Earth.

The Boston Beer Co., Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Magic Hat Brewing Co., Anchor Brewing, and let's not forget The Brooklyn Brewery & a dozen other great breweries that all produce a plethora of wonderful beer.

Now cars are a different story, but they're getting better, I actually like the new Ford Fusion & Edge, the Lincolns are nice too, but other than a Cadillac or two & the Corvette, GM still has a very long way to go.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 687
I'd take the Mustang if nothing else.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7556
Steve, if I guess you right. are most linkly to gat a mundane 6cyl job.
Bad, bad.
It is the most coarse, harsh and inhospitable automiblie that I have had as a rental. Period.

A brutal excuse for a useful means of transportation.

The v8 is a different matter.

Bronze Member
Username: Mekongdelta69

Grew up in Brooklyn an...

Post Number: 19
Chris,

"...and let's not forget The Brooklyn Brewery..."

>> You ever go there on weekends for their tour and 'taste-testing'? (aka, let's get ripped for nothing!)

Btw, if you like beer (and I mean, if you REALLY like beer), give http://www.duvel.be/ a try. You can read more about it here:
http://www.belgianstyle.com/mmguide/taste/golden.html
It's expensive, but it is GOOD...

Just a thought,

Mike_____

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1097
Mike,

I've been to the Friday after-work get together, and to the Pig-Fest, but not recently.

I really like beer, in fact, I was a home-brewer long before the micro-brew craze came & went (I even considered opening a brew-pub).

I'm not a particular fan of Duvel's beers, and that's probably because I'm not a real big Belgian-Style beers.

I'm a hop-head, the hopier, the better. Hoptical Illusion by the Blue Point Brewery in Long Island is one of my favorites these days.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4987
"micro-brew craze came & went"

Hey Christopher it's pretty obvious that you don't live in the Northwest. Microbrew is alive and well here. Portland is the Microbrew capitol of the world. A new brew pub just opened here in Albany recently.

http://calapooiabrewing.com/blog/about/

Here in the Northwest we take our coffee and beer very seriously! .

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1098
Art,

I'm very glad to read that.

There clearly was a shake-out in the micro-brew industry over the last decade, a lot of small breweries did not weather the storm, but I think the aforementioned breweries are going to stick around for a while.

Save the Heartland Brewery chain (a tourist trap that makes some good beer), the brew-pub has all but gone extinct in & around NYC. I'm certain it has to do with the radical shift in demographics the area has experienced over the past decade. I don't too many of the new-immigrants (both legal & illegal) NYC has attracted of late frequent brew-pubs. Other than riding mass-transit together on occasion, immigrants & indigenous folks like myself rarely interact, let alone break bread and tip a few pints.

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
"Because you'll hear other Brits (and people from other countries) stereotype Americans as uncivilized, rowdy, and unrefined."NMyTree
You call this a stereotype? How would you generally describe Americans?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 729
"How would you generally describe Americans?"

You can't, any more than you can "generally describe" any other nationality or ethnic group.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7644
"How would you generally describe Americans?"

Good and Loyal friends(I have many) under unfortunate leadership now and then.

Gee, sounds familiar.

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
Stephen, you are suggesting there are no common characteristics ascribable to Americans. You're wrong. Would you say the same about the people of India, Indonesia, France and Great Britain (pick a nation or country)?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 732
"Stephen, you are suggesting there are no common characteristics ascribable to Americans."

Correct. Keep in mind the vast number of cultures that make up the American nation. The US is the melting pot of the world. You can't ascribe a heck of a lot of characteristics that are universal to all Americans. Not everyone speaks the same language, let alone look the same, act the same, practice the same religion, have the same politics, etc.

As far as France and Britain, they both have sufficient immigration to keep a good mix of different types of people. India has plenty of Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists to keep things lively.

Indonesia, while majority Muslim, isn't 100% (86% according to the CIA World Factbook). Moreover, their ethnic makeup is fairly well mixed. I would doubt that there is a heck of a lot that you could ascribe to every last one of them, except that they have a residence in Indonesia.

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
I doubt any reputable political or social scientist would accept that proposition. I personally know several of national reputation who would dispute your conclusions. Your theory of some amorphous body of people with no common characteristics is just plain dumb and defies reality. And that's all I have to say about that.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1103
...Mama always said life is like a box of choc-o-lates...

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 745
"I doubt any reputable political or social scientist would accept that proposition. I personally know several of national reputation who would dispute your conclusions."

Good for them.

"Your theory of some amorphous body of people with no common characteristics is just plain dumb and defies reality."

Then why don't you tell me what characteristics can be ascribed to all Americans, including the Caucasians, African-Americans, Hispanics, Asian/Pacific Islanders, Native Americans, Middle Easterners, etc that all reside here? And no, being loud is not one of them.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 746
I guess to rephrase it a little bit, if you think that different cultures within the world act differently (India, China, England, France, etc), and the US is made up of numerous cultures, how can you say that there is one all pervasive culture in the US? Sure there is the pop culture of "Americana" out there, but its a giant leap to ascribe that to all Americans. Heck, I can point to my relatives as a simple example of people that are not influenced by "Americana".

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1105
IMHO, rugged individualism once defined the American psyche, today, mainly as a result of subsidising bad behavior, again IMHO, that trait has been watered down to the point of being near extinct.

Sadly, collectivism rules the day.

Silver Member

Post Number: 282
"Then why don't you tell me what characteristics can be ascribed to all Americans,"Stephen M
First, I never said all Americans. I said "most".I guess I could be sarcastic and say that like you, they have trouble reading with comprehension or accurately quoting others. But I won't. One characteristic: superficiality over substance. This has not always been the case.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 752
The discussion about American's buying style over substance regarded "most" Americans. The discussion regarding stereotyping and "generally describing" Americans is something altogether different in my book. However, if you wish to specify that, so be it.

As far as superficiality over substance goes, it depends, but you are right that the current pop culture does emphasize superficiality. How much that actually affects average Americans in day to day life is debatable. Simple economics will prevent it in a lot of cases, as plenty of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck, and prefer to do things like eat and pay rent rather than have a Prada purse or 20" rims. Age also plays some factor, as a 40 year old is less likely to care about impressing his peers as is a 16 year old.

Bronze Member
Username: Mekongdelta69

Grew up in Brooklyn an...

Post Number: 20
"Sadly, collectivism rules the day."

>> Chris, have you got that right. Orwellian PC Totalitarian Socialism is the New World Order and has been since the mid '60s -- 'sadly.'

Mike_____

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
I agree that economics is a factor but only in the sense that it provides an outlet for the superficiality. The culture drives the economics. Just because many can't afford to indulge their superficial preferences does not automatically convert thoses predilections into substantive considerations. Age is also a factor but I'm not sure 40 is the cut off. We need to face the difficult and sad fact that more and more Americans make important decisions (purchases, politics, mates, etc.)on a visceral level rather than on an analysis of the implications of exercising one choice over the other. The credit card companies, as an example, love it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Yeah, because Americans are the only ones buying stuff

It's okay if you hate Americans and America in general. But at least be honest and balanced.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1120
"It's okay if you hate Americans and America in general."

umm, no it isn't.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
"It's okay if you hate Americans and America in general. But at least be honest and balanced."NmyTree
This is obviously the response of one of those superficial natives about whom we spoke.No one has said anything about hating Americans.We have merely tried to engage in a discourse about Amercian culture.NmyTree, you're barking up the wrong tree.Idiot.

Gold Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1121
"We have merely tried to engage in a discourse about Amercian culture.NmyTree, you're barking up the wrong tree.Idiot."

...and name calling always leads to such substantive discourse.

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
"...and name calling always leads to such substantive discourse."Molloy
Not always. But sometimes it helps. Of course, one might legitimately debate whether providing an accurate description of someone is actually name calling in the pejorative sense of that term.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
Your intentions and agenda are very clear.

You can play it off all you want.

I have an accurate description of you, but why waste my time with such nonsense.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10713

dorkboy - How many members have ever thanked you for your contributions to the "discourse"?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

How many times do you think other members have thanked those of us who make decent contributions to the forum? Yep, a lot! Almost everday. But no one ever thanks you, dorkboy. They just wish you'd go away. Forever.

Woe is dorkboy. You must have a Greek chorus following you around going, "Woe is dorkboy. Woe." You know, like those cell phone commercials. Hundreds and hundreds of people going, "Woe to dorkboy! dorkboy is the personification of woe! dorkboy is the personification of dork! ... Don't we all have some thing better to do? This guy's a loser!!!"

It must be tough knowing you contribute nothing to anything. I certainly wouldn't know. But, good grief! I bet you have to fight the urge to do a Hemmingway a dozen times a day.

I'd hate to be you, dorkboy. I bet you do too.

Thought any more about that Yamaha receiver thing, dorkboy?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7722
I would wait for a predictable response from Jones, but this is cutting into my alotted time to 'completely waste'.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10723

I been thinking about dorkboy. Not real hard, mind you, it don't require hard thinkin'.

But ...

Since he can't answer my questions about the
"audible distortion" he spouted off about, ...

And it's not like I haven't given him lots of chances ...

Heck, I even gave him the answer but he was too dumb to notice, ...

Well, since I asked the question that he can't answer, ...

That pretty much makes him my "b!tch" ...

Doesn't it?

I'd say so.

Hey, dorkboy!

Go over and stand in the corner and don't say nothing till you're spoken to. (Like that'll ever happen.)

Got it, dorkboy?

Now go ahead and be a good little dorkboy. Until you can answer the question, you are going to have a miserable existence.

Not that you haven't already.

But I'll be there just so you'll know you're the idiot and I'll be reminding you of it everytime you open your yap.

Go on, dorkboy, go into the corner.

And shut the hell up.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 470
Man, "dork boy" just dont get it does he?

Jan, that one made me laugh out loud!
I'd buy tickets to see the fight!
C'mon ppv, you payin any attention?
War of the Words, season one, how "dork boy" is repeatedly abused, with no counter to speak of.
It'd be called "demoralized"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us