Receiver vs. Amp

Silver Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 132
Could someone explain to me the difference between a receiver and an amp?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10041

http://eli47.tripod.com/audiogloss.html#q-r

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
so a receiver basically combines a pre-amplifier, a power amplifier, and a radio right? What would be the advantage of getting a preamp and amp instead of the receiver?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10044

Hopefully better design and construction, typically less features so the money is spent where it counts - on the sound quality, pieces meant to do just one job rather than a dozen, components that have a power supply designed to suit their specific needs and not the needs of a group of components (low voltage and high voltage separated not combined) and the layout in an individual chassis instead of cramming everything together in one box. You also get the opportunity to mix and match brands or models to achieve the system sound you want without buying unnecessary stuff and you can upgrade at any time by swapping to a new pre amp or power amp giving you far more flexibility in your system design. Separates also look way better. There are downsides to separates other than cost but they are fairly minimal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
ah thank you for clarifying that.

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 91
jan Like what negatives??? do enlighten me the main reason i think of is price??? possiblely space but i have never thought of others
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us