Best single CD to test speakers with...

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 24
OK it looks like we've all had a go at the favorite music thread. I've got a slightly different one: not your favorite music, but instead what is the best music to test speakers with? Let's say you're going into the dealer to test several speakers, and you can only take in 1 CD to do it with. What would you choose to put the speakers to the test, to push them across frequencies and speeds and tones?

I'm thinking it's gotta have drums, bass, vocals, horns, strings, the whole bit....any ideas?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10032

The Emma Demo.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1620
I'd go with whatever I play the most. Even if its not the best recording, I'll hear it more than anything else.

Then again, their isn't one CD that I listen to often enough to say its the most played. Therefore, I'd probably end up bringing Dark Side of the Moon.It's got enough of everything I need and has great sound quality.

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 69
difficult decision,especially if one listen's to classical,jazz,rock,electronica,world,etc...
however if i had to go with one CD,i would pick something along the lines of brian eno's "another day on earth"or maybe john cale's "hobosapiens"
both amazing musicians and producers with long and varied track records(no pun intended)as producers and preformers.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1403
The Wall 2nd disc.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10045

Does anyone listen to real instruments?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6444
An electric guitar is not a real instrument?

Did anybody tell Les Paul?

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 411
what are YOU familiar with?

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 412
And has the delicacy, yet thunderous passages, with great vocals?

My choice, Pink Floyd The Final Cut
Not many instruments left out on this one.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1407
I am partial to fake instruments myself, to each is own.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10052

Children, children, children! Last time I looked, an electric guitar was only half of a real instrument. Without the "electric" part it ain't much of one at all.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1624
What would it be without the "guitar" half?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10055

Shocking!

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 70
not sure if the instrument debate is valid.music is not only played but produced in a recording studio and today most if not all of this is done with digital technology.even live acoustic stuff is mastered.
so i would think production value is as important if not more important than any artificial idea of what makes an instrument.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1408
Children! it's not like your some father of audio JV, knowledgeable you may be, but you have some serious blinders on when it comes to anything outside your circle of comfort.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 913
Jan,

Can that Emma Demo Disc still be had? Did Tim make it?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 914
"Best single CD to test speakers with..."

IMHO, you should try to test speakers with your the music you listen to.

However, Mapleshade Records has some of the very best recordings I've heard. Take your pick.

I don't know if bluegrass up your alley, but Big Iron World by Old Crow Medicine Show is a very good recording.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1418
"IMHO, you should try to test speakers with your the music you listen to."

exactly, if you know a recording by heart because you listened to it too many times, then subtle nuances from equipment changes are more likely to be heard. That's my child like opinion of course.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1632
The Naim label is great as well. Minimal to no processing. For example, to equalize instruments they move them closer and further away from mics. The songs are actually complete band studio performances, and not one instrument played at a time and patched together later.

I just wish they signed bands I like.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1633
Chris,

If you want a copy of the Emma disc, PM me your address.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 915
"The Naim label is great as well. Minimal to no processing. For example, to equalize instruments they move them closer and further away from mics. The songs are actually complete band studio performances, and not one instrument played at a time and patched together later.

I just wish they signed bands I like."

It's too bad bands, or for that matter consumers, don't appreciate what the folks at Naim or Mapleshade are doing.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1634
Very true. However, I wonder if either label has the capacity and/or revenue to back more popular artists.

Also, 99.9% of the people out there have no clue what true HiFi really is. Fully compressed mp3 from an iPod through Bose headphones is as good as it gets in the eyes (or ears) of far too many people.

Bronze Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 14
and u would know that stu pitt... having spent several years studing sound at harvard.. you talk as if u got ur own line of speakers or company for that matter.. or the almighty of sound
what is it that u do for a living.. let me guess ur probaby a janitor...
stu... i may not know much about sound and related but i am not a phoney like what u are.. coz ur full of shitttttttttttttttttt.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 441
I have to input two CDs in here. I like them equally, but it depends on what I am in the mood for. They both are jazz, but the vocals and overal mood are slightly different.

Diana Krall "Love Scenes"
Eliane Elias "Dreamer"

Eliane Elias' Dreamer is full of lush orchestrations, but still is a rompin' jazz ambum at heart. Her voice has a bit of Brazilian huskiness and warmth to it, similar to Asturd Gilberto.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1422
Shane, considering you have been around here for less than a month spouting useless knowledge an Stu has been here for almost three years (of which I have read numerous knowledgeable posts) I would say that you are the one that is full of crap. Go back to the Volty strings amateur.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 916
Let me guess Shane, you own an iPod & some Bose headphones?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1637
Thanks Joe. But honestly, what's the point. It doesn't bother me at all. He'll be gone soon enough like so many others in the past. Dale Wiley... Paul Bayless... the original Paul... mauimusicman...

That list isn't going to end anytime soon.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13519
And don't forget armyscout.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1425
Original Paul lol forgot about him

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 451
hey... I own an iPod and Bose headphones :-P

But they can't hold a candle to my maggies...

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1539
Joseph,how could you forget Paul,out of those 3 annoying individuals,the original Paul was atleast honest and he trully believed what he said,I respected him for that.Bayless was pretty smart even if it was all recycled out of a book,Dale was just a pure moran simple as that,this guy thats spouting out at the month,you dont want to follow their road,we wont let you get to their post count before we have you looking for a new forum to pollute.

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1428
Glad to see you have paid your debts and can come join us again T-bomb.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 917
T, You waitng on any of those new x-series speakers?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us