Athena Technologies AS-B2 vs JBL NSP1II Home Theater Speaker System Review

Brian Mitchell
This review has been moved to the link below:
https://www.ecoustics.com/reviews/jbl-nsp1ii-athena-as-b2-speaker/

We at athena TECHNOLOGIES would like to thank Brian Mitchell for his comprehensive review on our athena TECHNOLOGIES Audition series speakers and subwoofer. The end result of the review basically states that the athena products are better suited for music. This is actually the goal of the entire brand! We feel that any speaker should accurately reproduce music properly as movie soundtracks are mostly music based as well.
The only part of the review where we would question would be the subwoofer low frequency limits. The sub has been tested here in our anechoic chamber, and it does extend to the mid 20Hz range. What might have happened is that the other subs in Brian's test room are higher in sound pressure, and its possible that SPL was mistaken for low bass extension. Granted the AS-P400 is a 100 watt, 10" platform, so it is only reasonable to expect a certain amount of sound pressure. Its also possibly a placement issue as a sub will sound different in each environment due to room size, building materials, etc.
To sum up, the review is excellent and we are very happy with the results. Again I'd like to thank Brian Mitchell for his time and for the review.
Cheers!
Joe Fraser
athena TECHNOLOGIES

Anonymous
is the Athena asp400 sub video shielded?

Anonymous
Hi Brian,

How does Polk Audio RTi28 compare to Athena AS-B2/AS-B1 and Aperion Intimus 522D? I think RTi28 should be compared with AS-B1? Any views about AS-B1 and RTi28.

Thank you,

Drew S
Im planning on getting the a home theater and I already pretty much got my eyes set on the kenwood VR-6070, but im haveing trouble deciding what kind of speakers to get. i want very detailed sounding speakers that are good for listening to music but at the same time i want something that can bump loud with low-end bass. so im wonderin, is it a good idea to just get the Athena AS-B2/AS-C1 surround speakers and mix it with the JBL PB-12 subwoofer? I'm kinda of new with all the home theater systems so please help me out.
BTW, if u have any recommendations for a reciver that is better than the VR-6070 and at a good price, please let me know. Thanks

Drew

timn8ter
Drew S;
Skip both systems and look at the Atlantic Technology T-70 or the Energy TAKE 5+1.

superfecta
What price range are you looking to spend?That would be the place to start.And don't take our word as gospel,audition the speakers for yourself.Some speakers sound better to you because you like to listen to music,some sound better for Home theatre.And some sound great at a high price and some sound good enough for what you want to spend.

Drew S
I was first thinking around $500, but i am willing to spend a couple hundred more for deeper bass and better sound (less than $900 though). I want speakers that are good for both music and movies. I do plan on auditioning the speakers but i jus want an idea of which ones are good.
PS thanks for the reccomendations timn8ter, i will look into those speakers and give them a listen the next time i get a chance.

Drew

G. Miller
Do yourself a huge favor and stay away from the Kenwood amp and buy a yamaha.

Drew S
Hey G.

Can't you include a model number?

Hawk
Drew:

I personally don't care for the Yamahas. When compared to most other products, their high frequency emphasis can be rather irritating.

If you really want better sound, you must look at an NAD 742. Unlike any other receiver maker I know, NAD has the same pre/pro section built into every model. that means the lowest powered receiver sounds just as good as the top of the line. I heard one in a double blind testing demonstration at a local dealer who used the same source material and the same speakers, where we were able to hear it compared to a H/K 525, a Denon 2803 and an Onkyo 700 (and the volume levels were matched!). The NAD sounded cleaner and more powerful than any of the others, yet it has the lowest power rating. Even more important, dialogue or other sounds in DVD movies that were either muddled or non-existant when played through the other receivers, was crystal clear through the NAD. In music playback, the NAD had an intimacy and immediacy that made one believe it was a live performance, not reproduced. I could not say the same thing about the other receivers. This receiver has an MSRP, but I know it can be had for a little over $500. If you do hear one, you will never listen to another Kenwood again, I can guarantee it.

Brian, would you get the Denon 2803 or the Yamaha 2300 receiver for the Athena As-B1, AS-C1 and SVS 25-31 PCi speakers/subwoofer? Thanks.

Cain Puki
If you like the Kenwood...go with the newer model, the 7080...I had the 6070 and I believe it has a problem with heat. I don't have that problem with the 7080 and it sounds much cleaner. The 6070 is now relegated to the kid's playroom. Using it to drive a pair of Athena ASF-2s, wonderful set of speakers. Next week, my OUtlaw 7100 comes in and will be driving all 7.1 speakers....YEAH!

Would just like to throw in my 2 cents.....just bought a pair of Athena AS-B1's after listening to many good speakers at the shop. Listened to some Dahlquists, Missions, and higher-end BOSE(overrated) and hands down the Athena's had smooth clarity, extremely accurate vocals and just an overall natural sound. I agree with the review in saying that the speaker does not seem intended to push extrememly low frequencies but the BASS is extremely tight and sounds the way it should; some people like more intense, unnatural BASS qualities. To end off, I would like to congratulate ATHENA for its wonderful product and making my music sound the way it should. For the first time after a speaker purchase, I am completely satisifed. What makes this purchase even more astounding, this speaker sounded better than the competitors at a fraction of the price!!!

Anonymous
I see the Athena AS-B2 speakers were tested with the Yamaha RX-V2300 so they must match up well. How would the Denon 2803 or an HK match up with them?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us