Second pair of bookshelves suggustions

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 72
Greetings guys i'm looking for any suggustions for a pair bookshelves for a midsized room for 2.1 and music mainly will be getting my mini monitors next week hopefully. Here are the brands i was looking at NHT (classic) Kef, psb paradigm (studio) to name a few budget is around 600-900 plus stands looking nice rich sound big soundstage

Silver Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala LumpurMalaysia

Post Number: 145
Chico, how about Dynaudio Audience 52 MSRP $899/pair, or Focal JMLab Chorus 800V series, paradigm Studio 20 V3...

BTW, what electronics will you be using?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4300
Totem Rainmaker.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10005

http://www.nsmaudio.com/

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1397
Those look nice Jan. I love my Rainmakers so I would agree with Art.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10008

They are good. They've removed the link to their sister upscale company, Role.

http://www.nsmaudio.com/roleaudio/prices.html

I don't know the status of Tim's company, but I would recommend his designs.

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/news.htm

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 73
Right now i'm just using a 3380hk nothing fancy but I will will by december at the latest upgrade. Looking at int amp nad musichall and CA are likely options will also consider getting a used or new external amp like the a rotel or parasound the rotel rb-1070 looks nice. the totem arros are quite tempting due to their nice small size for a floor stander. But I will love the totem look. Will prob need to upgrade for sure to power them they are 4ohm like the polk lsi's right?? Focal are also worth looking into was thinking about their 700V but went with the mini due to budget. Their is also a brand called era dont know much about them either

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 900
The Paradigm Studio 20 has been & still might be the best all-around sub $1000 bookshelf on the market, IMHO. I think they can be had for about $650 if you shop around.

The Monitor Audio Silver S2 for $449 http://saturdayaudio.com/Monitor%20Audio%20Silver%20Sale.htm , real wood too!

And the best deal going, the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 for under $300 http://ayselectronics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=155_181&product s_id=1462&zenid=a45338ec14578e290a829f98fcd2b629 . Don't let this price fool you, the 9.2 are incredible.

If you can wait a while, there should be some new offerings from AV123's X-Series line over the next few months that look very promising, particularly, the X-LS Super Wave Guide ($400) & and the X-Pro ($600).

Happy hunting!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6367
I am sitting on a pair of SWG's.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 901
very crude.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6380
The post or the speaker?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 902
Nevermind, I'm not sure which will be better the X-LS SWG or the X-Pro. What do you make of the X-Pro's configuration?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6386
CM, I went back to the site and the X-Pro was not there.
You got a better link?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 903
My pleasure Nuck, http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/x-pro+monitor

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 78
"The Monitor Audio Silver S2 for $449 http://saturdayaudio.com/Monitor%20Audio%20Silver%20Sale.htm , real wood too! "
Would you put those over the studio 20 v4 are these 2 comparable speakers???

Gold Member

Post Number: 6402
Thanks CM. Sounds like Emma to me.
That is in a good way.
The stand interface might be a very good thing.

I wonder why the stand is so useful to extend the response of the xbl2 driver? That long excursion has a lot of air to move. If they mate the stand for resonance, that's a losing bet, I think.
If it is harmonically coupled to make a solid structure, then ok.

I don't quite get using the long throw driver in a sealed enclosure, but it ain't always about logic.
It's about the music, right?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 906
Chico, Yes I would say the S2 are comparable, but the Studio 20s (I've only heard the v3) are better, but they are also much more $$$.

The S2 @ $449 are an exceptional value, @ $289 the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 are a ridiculously exceptional value.

I would opt for these sub-$500 speakers over any other speakers up the Studio 20, which are more like $650-$800.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 907
Nuck, What about the upwards firing XBL^2 Mid/Woofer?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6406
I dunno, Chris.
The whole long throw/sealed thing is one to be heard, I guess.
And I think the description of the ribbon tweeter is a bit overdone, unless I missed the actual planar.
It seems like a sealed Emma, so far.
How bad a thing could that be?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 908
When I suggested that, it was outright dismissed http://av123forum.com/printthread.php?s=b13b2949d45c08d1cf9459e5f827afa6&threadi d=18077&perpage=15

Gold Member

Post Number: 6415
Stu has been two-timing us!

I still doubt the sealing of the long throw driver, unless, maybe, the speak can absorb 200watts of Classe power.

I missed the max input on these(as if the number mattered).
Is it high?
Kinda normal at 89db, and that is a max value, by the specs.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 79
Quick question what the main difference between the jmFocal 806/807 and the 707 well besides the obvious price factor. oh has the new studio been so revamped that its worth getting instead of the studio 20 v3 have not seen any reviews as yet.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1635
"Stu has been two-timing us!"

??????????????????????????????

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1963
Chico,

The main drive units on the 800V series are 165mm diameter asopposed to the 700V units 150mm. The cabinetry of the 800V is substantially more solid too.

In a midsized room, you won't need a separate sub with a pair of Dynaudio 52s or anything comparable in there.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Kuala LumpurMalaysia

Post Number: 153
I concur with Frank A....Recently I had a chance to get hold of a pair of pre-owned Dyn 52s, it replaced my PSB B25s+Audio Pro Sub, I sold my sub...the dyns have a good amount of low frequency and easily fills a small to medium sized room...

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1546
The X-Pro will the bomb and unlike anything ever built,it will be $995 with the magical stands included,look for it to come out around August at the latest,the X-SWG will be very good for the money its gonna be a Ascend killer as is the X-LS Plus.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 81
any reccomended dynaudio dealors you can reccomend. i'm leaning toward focal paradigm even the monitor audio and psb due to the ease of dealor contacts i've already established but not having to get a sub will be a big plus due saving about an extra 700-1000. Plus i rather not get a sub shipped here since the shipping is brutal on heavy stuff like that prob will get a local brand like klipsch definitive or velodyne. I saw a used pair of rainmakers for 699 which still sounds a bit high. but they are spoken of quite highly where would the Energy RC-10 fit into the picture???

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 82
Oh well might add another name to the mix the era design 5 was doing some research seen some speaking highly on this model anyone heard these before??? jmlabs era paradigms the final three :-)

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 85
any thoughts guys???

Silver Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 179
lsi9's or lsi7's

Silver Member

KLMalaysia

Post Number: 155
Chico, check this:

http://stores.ebay.com/World-Wide-Stereo

For Era:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/era/era.html

Goodluck!

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 88
Well I was wondering about these era d4 or d5 speakers. For one some mentioned onix but i dont know much about them. focal 706v and 806v. the dynaaudios are a little outta my price range.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 89
opps and i forgot the nht classic 3 not alot of comments on the these speakers is nht not a well regards brand???
http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1106nht/

Bronze Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 96
I work for a small high end audio company and we are a retailer for nht so take what i say with that in mind. Also that i am not as experienced as others.

I just picked up a pair of Threes from my boss to break in and then either i will buy them or sell them to a customer.

I must say that i am impressed. huge sound stage causing the speakers to just about disappear. They love power, i have them hooked up to a 100Wpc Arcam receiver but they would like more power. They put out some very good SPL but again the power is needed. To my surprise they have excellent Low end. they go allot lower then you think they would or even could, they handled large scale explosions in movies with ease and even caused a few things in my house to vibrate with the power of the lows.

at that price and from what other speakers i have heard they are pretty damn good and hold their own. Definetly listen to them, but make sure there is some power to them as they really are not that efficient and like i say love the power.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 93
Thanks steve for your thoughts on the nht 3's i'm using a hk3380. Which aint much power. I could get a used rb-1070 but i'll prob upgrade to better quality int. amp. prob CA or a Music Hall.

Does anyone or has anyone compared the paradigm 20, with the focal 706 807, or the nht 3's justing wondering on your thoughts???

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 100
Has anyone else listened to the NHT classic3???
Does anyone know if the focal 706v are vinyl or veneer?? just wondering on the visual thats all I'm enjoying my mini's thus far. The are a little brighter than i imagined could that have to due with the hk??? I dont think so since i'm told its a little warm........

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2023
The Focals are a vinyl wrap. They used to come in just one colour but it appears they come in black too. To be honest they're not in the same class as Rainmakers, but you need a good amp to drive the Totems. If your amp isn't very powerful the Focals are the better bet since they're a piece of cake to drive.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1206
Interesting design from AV123.
Steve Margolis patented the integrated TL stand some years ago.
http://www.seventh-veil.com/history.htm

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1207
Fostex has a similar design also.
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pdf/recom_enclose/167e_encl rev.pdf

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 101
Well the rainmakers are a nice speaker love the mahogany finish for sure. But i'd need something far more serious than what I have to power those. I saw a used pair for I think around $600 and hey they are canuck speakers right???

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2024
Yes, they're Canadian.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 106
Here's another quick question guys when it comes to imaging and soundstage. How would focals, nht(classic3's) paradigms 20's, and the eras d4 or 5 compare. I'm hearing some comments that the focals though refined are too "polite".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us