Possible to Connect a Seperate Preamp to an Integrated?

Silver Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC, Brooklyn

Post Number: 133
I own a Yamaha A-700 integrated amp (vintage mid 1980s).
I'm surveying various incremental upgrade possibilities and as well as their sequence of possible implementation.

1) Regarding preamps: is it possible to introduce a stand alone line stage preamp into my system by connecting it to my integrated amp, thus bypassing the Yamaha's internal preamp circuitry?

2) Ditto, but with a stand alone external phono stage preamp; can this be connected to the Yamaha integrated via one of the latter's available inputs, thus bypassing the Yamaha's internal phono stage?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9984

Use the tape monitor loop.

Silver Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC, Brooklyn

Post Number: 136
Gotcha.

Bronze Member
Username: Eddietfman

Hong Kong

Post Number: 35
Hi there,

I want to learn but I do not understand how could this work. Would someone elaborate how could the tape monitor loop make this work? Thanks in advance.

Eddie

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10001

The tape monitor loop is a bypass circuit. There is minimal circuitry involved - if you don't have a three head tape player hooked to your tape input, place your CD player's outputs into this input for cleaner sound due to less circuitry in the way - and the tape loop is not affected by the volume control. It is a fixed output impedance, though normally higher than the pre amp output impedance, and not is suited to long cables between the tape out and the amplifier it feeds - no more than two meters of cable, please. Since the tape out is not affected by the volume control it's output voltage is only depenedent on the output voltage from the source player. Therefore, whatever the source feeds the tape loop will be passed virtually untouched by the first pre amp in the line.

Bronze Member
Username: Eddietfman

Hong Kong

Post Number: 36
Thanks Jan very much for your thorough explanation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us