Speaker Wiring Help!

Username: Kezzanovagirl

Post Number: 1
Hey, found this site on Google, was wondering whether anyone could help me. Basically, I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to wire up some old headphone wire to a pair of stereo speakers, but I don't know how to do it properly! The wires that I stripped back from the headphones are red and copper, and green and copper, but the two strips of wire from stereo speaker are just silver. One strip is coated with white plastic casing, the other is black. Which wires should I connect up to which headphone wire? Hope someone understands this question and can answer it for me! Thanks very much, Kerry

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9986

"The wires that I stripped back from the headphones are red and copper, and green and copper ... "

Use the copper as the + and the red and green as the - legs.

" ... but the two strips of wire from stereo speaker are just silver."

The speaker wire probably has some form of identification, look for a ridge or a white stripe on the insulation of one leg of the cable. Use that leg as your + feed. If you can find no identification, use a small voltage battery and touch the two legs of the cable to the + and - terminals of the battery. The connection that makes the woofer move forward is the right orientation for + and - legs.

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 455
Why don't you just buy some speaker wire?

I have a similar question. I'm trying to wire my sister's pet hamster directly to the mains. Which is the best place to put the crocodile clips... On the ends of it's ears, or up it's ar$e?

V

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 155
Depends on whether you want to cure the hamster's insanity or correct an arrythmia.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us