Subwoofer pops when turning on/off

Username: Eb5338

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I just hooked up a Velodyne sub to my Integra DTR-5.4 A/V receiver. The problem is that whenever I turn the receiver on or off, the sub pops really loud...shaking the house loud. Any ideas what is going on?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6272
Ethan, try another power source for the sub. An extension cord is fine for a test, power the sub from a different circuit.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Nuck. Ok, I tried another outlet, and I still get the big pop. A couple of things I noticed...

First, when I turn on the receiver and before it begins to play the sound from one of the inputs, I get a little feedback/humming sound followed by the big pop. Then, I'm able to listen to the sound from the selected input. When I turn off the receiver, it just pops loudly and then turns off.

Second, this problem just came up because I switched out an old Denon A/V and put in this Integra. Does that mean something is wrong with the Integra receiver?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6277
If the problem only arose with the new unit, then yes, your line of thought is correct.
Does the integra use a 3 pronged plug?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6278
If so, you might try a cheater plug.
Just to be sure, before condemning it.
Is this a new/warranty issue?

Post Number: 3
It's not a 3-pronged plug. just looks like a regular banana plug. and, unfortunately, it's not new/warrantied. i bought it off of my uncle who was moving and downgrading his setup.

the weird thing is that i had tested the whole system before in another room of our house and everything was fine. not too sure what would have changed in our living room vs. extra bedroom.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9967

There should be a muting circuit to quiet the sub output (I assume this is being run from a "sub out" or "LFE out" on the receiver). The pop means the muting circuit is faulty and has nothing to do with the AC feed going to the receiver or sub. If you are not running the sub from a "sub out" or "LFE out", then I assume you are running from either a pre out or the high level speaker outputs. Turning down the volume control or hitting "mute" before switching the receiver off should solve this problem.

Post Number: 4
Yes, the sub is connected via a "pre-out" output. It doesn't have a "sub-out/LFE out" option. I tried muting the receiver before turning it off, and I still get the popping noise.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9976

Take the system back to the room where it operated correctly. As you said, there should be nothing that makes the system operate correctly in one room and not another. Pre outs normally don't cause such a problem that it makes a loud pop. However, if you are hearing a hum before the receiver comes to life and then a pop as the receiver comes out of standby, there still might be a problem with the Onkyo's mute circuitry. Try the set up in the other room and report back.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10035

Loud ain't good unless it's clean. Loud and clean ain't cheap. Loud, low and clean defintely ain't cheap. You are going to get none of those three with your current plans. If you can't do it right, wait until you can afford it. This is the route to simply breaking stuff.

What you're describing is something that will get people driving by to call the cops 'cause it's so damned aggravating. Do you have no respect for your neighbors or your hearing?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10036

Sorry, I don't know how that got put here.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 words

Post Number: 4793
I do. Ecoustics.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 260
my velodyne "pops" when i turn on the aquarium lights or turn them off. not very loud but i do hear it. they are all on the same circuit.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10106

Leave the aquarium lights on all the time. Al Gonzalez says this kind of sleep deprivation is not torture.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us