JBL or Polk Audio? On a budget....

Bronze Member
Username: Bigbadworm

San Diego

Post Number: 45
Long story short......I just got a H/K 3480 receiver to listen to music and sports talk. Speakers I heard at Frys were the Polk Monitor 60 and really liked them. My question is since I'm poor and have a friend who is a rep for JBL, I can get a great discount. Is the JBL Stadium speaker equivalent to the Polk M60 and which one would be better for me? BTW, the music I listen to is 90's alternative, hard rock. Thank you for any advice you can give to me.

JBL speakers
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=STADIUM&Language=ENG&C ountry=US&Region=USA&cat=BFS&ser=VEN

Polk speakers
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/monitor60/

H/K receiver
https://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=H K%203480-Z

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13355
Can you listen to them first?

Bronze Member
Username: Bigbadworm

San Diego

Post Number: 46
No, thats the problem I'm having...no way to demo them with my receiver. This is why I was hoping someone could tell me if the two models were equivalent to each other because I'm not the kind of person that can notice the small nuances of similar speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9953

Then it doesn't matter. You prefer to shop by way of discount at this time rather than what you "really liked". You only ask so someone will tell you they are similar. OK, for you they are similar. Buy what is cheapest and you'll survive until you can shop for what you really like.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 407
IMHO, both of those speakers are garbage, and are outperformed easily by speakers from other manufacturers. You can find good speakers in all price levels (even in the $200 or less bracket), but you have to be willing to shop around, and get out of BB and CC.

Bronze Member
Username: Nadz

California

Post Number: 38
If your friend is a rep for JBL see if he can get you something from the Studio L series. This is a huge improvement over the ones you are looking at. In fact they easily compete with alot of the other big names like Energy, PSB, Paradigm, B&W and many others.

Username: Milner

SLC, UT

Post Number: 1
Pretty much a newbe, but I have spent the last 3 months looking for best band for the buck. I was facing the Polk vs JBL. I wouldn't call either junk, but I did find that there is much better sound available in th $1500-$2000 range.
Given those 2 choices I would go with the JBL Stadiums. The Polks seem to use more power for the same volume and the stadiums seemed to have a better sound to me. (IMHO) If you can bump up in price, look at NHT Classic 4's, Rocket 450's, or the Def Tecs....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us