PL12D Pioneer Turntable no output on left channel

Username: Merrlyn

Swansea, Swansea Wales

Post Number: 1
I'm using a PL12D turntable with a Shure M95EJ stylus.

The problem is I seem to only get output on one channel. I have used a circuit tester to check the signal path from inside the deck to plug and have a signal on at all points (left channel +/- & right channel +/-)

Is it possible that the stylus has been damaged and will now only reproduce on one channel?

mucho helpo greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9949

The stylus won't reproduce just one channel. Clean all your connections and retrace with the continuity checker from the cartridge leads to the phono plugs.

Swansea, Swansea Wales

Post Number: 2
cheers Jan,

out of curio . . . is there any circuitry between cartridge and phono plug? I'm thinking that if the continuity checks out . . .it did . . . then perhaps there's a faulty component?

many thanks for your reply

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9955

s.p. - You're asking me to remember the underside of a thirty year old turntable. I don't remember anything that would have been in the signal path but possibly there is a mute circuit for the lift off. Simply trace from tonearm lead out to phono jacks on the back of the table to find what's there.

Swansea, Swansea Wales

Post Number: 3
sorry (lol) I wasn't expecting details I'm just not familiar with the wrokings of a turntable (never had to fix one before) and wasn't sure whether there was generally any need for circuitry between needle and phono plug, or whether the needle did all the work at sub-microphone level and then left it to the amplifier to to do the rest. I suppose I simply assumed that ther had to be at least some clever circuitry between needle and amp to reproduce the sound.

Many thanks once again, I guess I may simply have to replce the cable from the circuit board back and see if that makes a difference.

cheers :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us