Amp right volume knob has to be wiggled to get right channel to work?

Username: Buckstar

Post Number: 1
Having trouble with my Yamaha M-65 amp. I have to wiggle right or left volume knob to get right channel to work? Anybody have any idea what the problem is?

Thanks in advance!
Buck

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9925

The control is either dirty or needs replacement.

Username: Buckstar

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jan, Do you know if cleaning/replacement is easy, DIY?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6193
Sure it is easy, Brian.
If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can do it.
If you have not had your Yammy open before, you might not be as adventurous as at first blush.
If it works OK otherwise, you might dop a few bucks and have the unit serviced and cleaned by a shop.
Or a grade 12 high school class.
I've done that.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9927

I don't remember if the pot is sealed or open. If it is sealed, you'll not be able to do much with spray type cleaners. In that case a technician would be the one to do the job. If you can get some spray type tuner/contact cleaner inside the pot, you can usually clean it by just spraying and working the knob back and forth. Yamaha no longer supports the older products with parts so you might have problems if the pot must be replaced. However, volume control pots are fairly similar in nature and you'll have to know the impedance of the stock OEM unit and the shaft dimensions should you go looking for a replacement in the aftermarket. Some pots will have the impedance stamped on the case of the pot, look there first if replacement is called for. Replacement is a fairly straight forward job but, if you haven't had you hands inside an amplifier before, I would let a technician do the work. There are lethal voltages inside an amplifier just as the warnng labels suggest. And, if you don't solder well, a bad solder job is worse than a wonky pot.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us