Do Totem Beaks really do anything?

Bronze Member
Username: Restlesstimes

Washington , DC United States

Post Number: 40
or, is everyone just drinking the Kool-Aid?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1950
Yes they do. It's a measurable 0.5db attenuation in treble output and a dispersal of the output in quite a different way. The Beaks cost the equivalent of $100000 of computer modelling time (courtesy of a customer who was so impressed with their Model-1 that he offerred them the time on the corporate supercomputer!) which Totem could never have afforded. The Beaks definitely take the edge off the Arros in particular.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Franks thanks for the quick response. I think I will get some for my new Forests, which I LOVE.
However, everyone who knows me thinks I am crazy. I get rid of Staafs to go with bookshelf speakers because of space and turn around and buy a slightly larger pair of floor standers.
At least with this speaker, I know I will keep them for a LONG LONG time.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9911

"At least with this speaker, I know I will keep them for a LONG LONG time."

?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
LOL point taken

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6133
It's a biiiig club to join.

Get cosy with your dealer.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1526
Thats funny someone brought this up,I still have my beaks,and they do work,as strange as it might seem.They are also useful on other speakers,and not just Totems.

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1201
More commonly known as "phase plugs", they've been around for a long time.

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1202
for example....

Upload

golly that looks familiar

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9931

A phase plug cost the equivalent of $100k in computer modeling time? OK, now who's drinking KoolAid? There must be something special about this product. Yes? No?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1595
As afr as I can thell, the beaks aren't phase plugs. They don't attach to the woofer. They sit on top of the speakers cabinet -

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 6203
It ain't the John and Randy show?

Gold Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1203
I understand these help too...
Upload

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9935

I thought the administrator stopped allowing those kind of pictures.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9936

"As afr as I can thell, the beaks aren't phase plugs. They don't attach to the woofer. They sit on top of the speakers cabinet - "

OK, still; this took $100k of computer time? Where's Sam Tellig's four quarters and two dimes?

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 379
Tim, is that a picture of a suppository?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6206
That is some kind of plug...

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1597
"OK, still; this took $100k of computer time? Where's Sam Tellig's four quarters and two dimes?"

I agree completely. Then again, if they work (as Frank and Tawaun have stated) and the OP can comfortably afford them, why not?

This has got to be one of the things that need to be demoed at home.

BTW, I don't doubt Frank or Tawaun's experience with them. I've heard the same thing many times. My feable mind is just a little slow at grasping the how.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4247
Hey I just want to know if they'll provide some sort of improvement for my speakers cause they look cool and will elicit questions from guests. You always have to love it when you try to explain the cost of your speaker cable to your house guests.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1530
They worked on my Arro's but not as good as a larger speaker with more mass and better stability,I thought they workrd best on the Mani-2,on the Arro's they were always about to slide off the speaker,so I had to keep a close eye on them,it did tame the Arro's topend a bit although better electronics would tame them to,and yeah they do look cool.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6226
Who has an opinion on the Wind speakers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1532
I like them,bigtime dynamics with a huge soundstage and bass,they can be a tad bright and foward in the midrange with the wrong electronics,not as choherent as the Totem 2 ways,I've heard better in that regard in a multi driver speaker and the price for what they offer kinda bothers me,but they are a very good speaker though,I do feel you can do better for the money though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6234
How much power is required for the Winds, guys?
TW, I run the one Classe ca200 amp into a 3ohm load now, and bottom the speakers cleanly, Psb Stratus Silver.
The amp never quits. It's hot, Straight 'A'.

I have a deal to get another ca200, and a line on the Winds.
I also have a line on a Classe ca300 amp, and wire stright to the Totems.

How much power should I have on hand?
Yeah, I know I always say more power(and believe it) but which amp(s) would suit the Winds?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1533
Look to Plinus,Bryston and the Musical Fidelity or even a big Mac,the Classe may be a bit bright and foward on the Winds,which have a very close sound to the old B&W 800 Signitures,and I heard those on some Classe monoblocks and my ears were ringing for about a half hour after the audition,not very pleasant.So are you getting a deal on the Winds? if so im gonna quote what Jan said not to long ago,dont buy a speaker because of the price you can get them for,get them because you like them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6239
TW, I dig that.
The winds are just too expensive to consider, if bought new. The line I have on them would bring them into my purview as a pre-loved set.
Buying because you like them is a solid bit of advise, which I agree with, and have advised myself.
These Totems are worthy of my consideration only because they are something that is now within the possible.
So much so that I can drive less than 2 hours to hear them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1535
Why dont you try out the Mini Strata Nuck,they will save you a bunch of money,and they will compete squarely with the Winds for way way cheaper,I actually think they are better,a properly designed hybrid with ribbons or planers with tubes is a amazing experiance!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6257
I could, TDog, but the border thing is a major pain, and a major cost, double to return them.

How do you put these in the same class as the Winds?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1536
Its a reason the Winds havent had much press,they are a good speaker no doubt,but way overpriced for the performance they offer in their class,they have some serious comp in their pricerange that will stomp quarters out of them.The Mini puts many more expensive speakers to shame,im not buying the Salksound HT-3's anymore,not to say that the Mini is better,but boy what you get for the money is almost unspeakable.Speakers at the Mini's price to 3k and im tempted to say their unmatched up to 4k,but from 3k on down dont have a prayer against them,its like how Labron James was in high school its just no comparison.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6267
How much Classe power would be appropriate for the mini, T?
And remember that I like more than enough power.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1957
Tim,

Phase plugs are usually smooth.

Although the profile of the beaks is close to that of a phase plug, closer inspection shows that the curved point is actually made up of a series of fine ridges. It was the design of the ridges which cost an awful lot of computer time I believe. The base of the beak is also hollowed out into a very specific shape, although I do not recall what this does.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us