KEF 104/2 speakers

Username: Mmudge

Foresthill, CA Usa

Post Number: 1
Hi,

Nubie here with some questions about the above speakers that I picked up at a garage sale last week.

I know the brand and I have heard some but that was long ago. When I heard them I was very impressed but I couldn't say for certain what model they were.

When I hooked up the set I bought I was just blown away. Even my wife stopped what she was doing and came in to listen. They are in very good working order but the cabinets need a little touch up here and there plus some new feet.

The bass speaker is very interesting. I'm not sure I understand it but I sure like it. While I was inspecting the speakers I saw that one bass speaker was losing it's little foam core in the center of the cone where the aluminum pole extends from. I read some posts thru Google and others mentioned the same thing but indicated that this did not effect performance. Is this true? Can I get the thing replaced still? I would also like to find one of the black plastic inserts for the port in the front. It probably doesn't do anything other than make the box look good if you leave the grills off but I'd still like to get one. Pointers would be much appreciated.

I'd like to hear from any owners past or present. I'm only into these speakers for 20 dollars which, after listening to them, makes me feel a bit sinful......well, almost anyway.

TIA,

Mike

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4196
http://www.speaker-parts.com/

I don't know if it will help but a call to these guys might be a good place to start.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4642
Mike,

Great to read that. Two links.

KEF Audio -- Model 104.

Home Audio: Speakers: Archives - 2004: Archive through June 08, 2004: KEF. A short tale of value, service, customer satisfaction.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9887

The 104/2 speakers where rather high end for their day so you did very well for yourself. They were the first of the "modern" sounding KEF's and marked a distinct departure from the "BBC sound" that had characterized KEF for four decades. Some people enjoyed the change, others thought KEF now sounded like JBL which was not a good thing. But it was, no matter your opinion of the sound, a very successful speaker for KEF, particularly in the homeland of JBL.

The dustcap should be secured to ensure it doesn't loosen further and begin to rattle against the cone. If it is partially attached to the cone right now and you have very steady hands, you can reattach it with a very small amount of contact cement or rubber cement - no Superglue! - on a toothpick and hold the parts together until the attachment is complete. If you are unsure of yourself take the speaker to a pro audio shop and they can either do the repair or direct you to a shop that can.

The bass system employed in the 104/2 is a mid woofer combined with an internal bandpass driver/enclosure for the lowest octaves.

Forget the plug. It does change the enclosure's "Q" and you are better off without it. The system was designed as a bandpass and a bandpass it should stay.

I would go back and ask if the seller wants to unload the amp that was used with these speakers. I'd offer as much as $30.

Username: Mmudge

Foresthill, CA Usa

Post Number: 2
Jan,

Thanks for all the info and to Jon and Art too. I ordered 2 kits for the center foam for each speaker today.

I wish I could go back to the original owner but these speakers were abandoned at a mini storage facility and I lucked out.

Years ago (I'm 60) when I was about 25 I got a Harmon Kardon tube amp and pre-amp from the Citation series. It was the best sounding unit I think I ever had. Plus it heated my apartment too! I never lost my taste for analog which is why I'm currently rebuilding my LP collection. And now with these speakers and my 5 dollar Techniques SL 1300 w/Shure V15 III (garage sale score two weeks ago), I find myself lusting after a tube setup again.

I live in the Sierra Foothills and not a lot of folks make it up this far for garage sales. Plus the norm up here is to sell on Friday/Saturday. So when things pick up I go into work a bit late on Fridays.

Last summer I picked up a perfect pair of KLH 283 speakers for 16 dollars and a killer little Pioneer SX 636 reciever for another 5. It's great! Now to find the tubes!

Thanks to all. I'll be watching.

Mike Mudge

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4643
Good to read, Mike. The purpose of my second link was to say that, if you need parts, the chances are KEF can supply them.

You got a bargain there, in my opinion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us