Black Vinyl VS Clear Colored Vinyl Records

Bronze Member
Username: Audiomania

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 22
I would like some guidance regarding whether ther is a difference in the playback quality of regular black vinyl as compared to the clear colored vinyls. I am especially concerned about noise as well as accurate reproduction. Thanks in advance for your help.

Glenn}

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9880

There should be no difference between black vinyl and clear vinyl. Lamp black is added to what is essentially milky white vinyl to make black LP's. You will find more variation in the quality of vinyl - period - than in any two colors.

Bronze Member

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 23
Jan, Thanks for your assessment. So, it is really other factors that will make the difference. That is both good news and bad news. Good news because I am not limited to black vinyl records; and bad news because the other factors that affect the quality are not nearly as easy to see or determine.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9882

The quality of vinyl and attention paid to the recording, mastering and pressing processes are far more influential on the final product than the color of the vinyl. With experience you will determine which labels to trust and which to avoid. Unfortunately, many of the artists you might want to enjoy are on labels where bottom dollar is the most important process in recording and selling music. My advice in that situation is to gather together components capable of finding the music in most recordings and not spotlighting the failings.

Bronze Member

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 25
Thanks again, Jan. I have already noticed that my older Columbia vinyls play better than my newer Geffens. Regarding your last point,is it mostly in the turntable or the cartridge that poorer recordings are improved?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9894

It's the entire system but the table, arm and cartridge have to get to the music - and get it right - before it can be passed downstream. Opinions differ but most high end shops will sell the turntable first as the most important component, then the arm and finally the cartridge. Linn established this heirarchy and referred to it in computer terms as, "Garbage in, garbage out". In other words, the system can't put back in what the source has left behind.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us