Arros, NAD 743 - what to upgrade?

Bronze Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 27
My set up - totem Arrors, NAD 743, totem cable. The source is old 200cd changer and lately the SlimDevices Squesebox. I know I know what will you all say. But this is the direction I am moving. I am riping all the cd's in wav or flac format and using squeezebox conected to NAD via coax so I still use NAD DAC to decode. I need and adwice. What would be the best volue for the money to improve my system?
thanks for sugestions
Pablo

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Forgot to mention old basic Sound Dynamisc sub connected - maybe this has to go?

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1207
I would replace the sub with a Hsu STF-1. Am I correct in reading that you only have one pair of speakers? You might consider adding a center channel speaker to go with your Arros.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Hi,
This system is being used only for music. I have Home Theatre and TV in the basement and this is is living room stereo system with speakers B - outdor o'mara speakers for the backyard. Maybe one day I will add a plasma but not soon or maybe never. So in this case why center? And why not totem sub?
would power amp make a difrence?
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 394
Why do you feel you need to upgrade? What is lacking in the sound currently? Certainly there are a few things you could replace with higher quality components, but without a clear goal of what you are looking to accomplish, we won't be able to provide a huge amount of help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Well
I am probably expecting too much from this set up. Not sure but I thought that in the store the did sounded better, there was this WOW effect that is not quite there in my living room. But again it was I think briston driving them. I have a chance to get good deal on Rotel power amp and I heard that Arrors are not easy, they need power, and I don't mean to wake up next door neighbor but to have more details
Hard to explain
Pablo

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 396
Have you thought about acoustical treatment? More than likely, that plays a big difference between what you heard in store and what you are hearing now.

As far as amplification goes, I don't think power is the issue (NAD is certainly among the better manufacturers for delivering power & current). However, their signature leans to the warmer side. You might get a more detailed sound by switching, but it wouldn't be anywhere near the magnitude by obtaining room treatments.

In regards to your subwoofer, there isn't much information available about that brand. Depending on its quality, you may or may not see a big improvement in bass definition and tightness by upgrading there. I'd listen to a few higher end models by REL or Velodyne if possible to see what can be accomplished there.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6050
Pablo, have you tried EQ'ing a few cuts and tried again?
And Stephen is quite correct to suggest you revisit your room dynamics and speaker placement.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Sorry for being ignorant but can you explain EQ'ing. My settings on NAD:
levels are at 0, tones: - bass 0 treble +6
Speakers are about 3m apart, sub and receiver are on the other side of the room 0 oposite wall - I know souds strange but this is the only way I could do it.
I also have these totem beaks - one per speaker, I tried before with filling speakers with sand like totem sugests but I thought I lost bit of clarity so I removed the sand. I have Arros connected using totem tress cable white positive at the top and the black at the bottom .
Pablo

Gold Member

Post Number: 6053
Pablo, with a max treble setting you are in the wrong room, are high tone hearing loss, or a monster.
I have high tone hearing loss.

EQ is to equalize your files to your tastes before recording.
But +6 is out there, man.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
so what arethe best settings All neutral at 0?
Pablo

Gold Member

Post Number: 6056
That can be good at times. If the Nad has a tone bypass, use that. It will eliminate the receivers controls both visible to the user and not.
Then look at the room and speaker placement, angle, height, etc.
Ideal placement can be fractions of inches.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
ok maybe I will play with this first some more. thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 6058
Do let us know, Pablo?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Ah, getting frustrated tried difrent combinations and I think I will start saving money for a poweramp!
Pablo

Gold Member

Post Number: 6063
It's a paion the the neck, pablo, but it really must be done to maximize not just your present setup, but your next! Your intended purchase could be so much more impressive with a better room?
The 'room' thing is not as much fun as other routes.
It has no glowing or blinking lights.
No wires, no chance to open the package and read the manual(right).
It doesn't move air. Or does it? It redirecst air, sound waves ,reflects light, reflects sound waves.
Like a Schmancy Pants receiver tries to.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1519
If I were you,as much as I like the Hsu subs,it will be tough for them to keep up with the Arro's which is one of the few cone speakers thats as fast electrostatics and planers lose the Sound Dynamics sub you have right now better yet just disconect it right now its only hampering the Arro's bass and overall sound right now,if you dont have that big of a room the Arro's go down to 40htz like pitbulls with amazing midbass clarity and be sure to have them biwired with good cables it makes a hug difference.You will require a very fast audiophile sub,I would look to Totems Subs particularly the Dreamcatcher sub 2 of them if you can and you will have a stellar setup.Other subs to look at besides the Totem subs are Era,subs our good ole member Art had one,and they frequently use them with Maggies.The other subs to look at would be ACI,av123,Vandersteen,and Rel,remember speed........the Arro will challenge any sub and expose it even if its a smidgen slow,the Arro's are timeless classic speakers,when you get your setup right they will tell you and you will be in sonic bliss....so work on the rest of your gear and you will rewarded bigtime.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4206
Need a better source and sub. Wouldn't hurt to upgrade the amplification as well, but the source and sub are the weakest links.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Thanks, I will try with out the sub first, maybe put some sand back to the arros.
Pablo

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
As for biwire - I will need an amp, my nad 743 will not be enough to biwire and have a big difrence. Source, well as I said everything is going to hsrd disk.
Pablo

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1525
You can still biwire,im not talking about biamping,you just run 2 runs of wires from the speakers,to the speaker terminals on the amp you will probably have to go barewire and eliminate your spades if you have them.This you need to do asap so you can elimanate those crappy jumpers between the binding post on the speakers.Like Art said,your gonna need a better CD player it will make a huge difference,with the Arro understand this everything you do in your system will make a difference,they will readilly reveal it,the good and the bad and the ugly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Sorry I am getting lost. Plain language please. "on the amp you will probably have to go barewire and eliminate your spades if you have them" My Arros have 4 connectors each. Now like Totem sugested Arros are connected using totem Tress cable white positive at the top and the black at the bottom. So I have to get another set of tress cable, connect to 4 connectors at Arros but what about Nad? I connect 2 minus left from left Arro to one minus left on Nad together? I also take away these metal pieces that connect terminals on Arros? Sory, for some obvious for me has to be explained.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6119
Pablo, start simply. Replace the metal strips with short pieces of the same speaker wire that you use now. This is vitally important.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
I think once when I talked to someone in Totem about this I was told that these metal strips are best. I have mentioned that I got advice of doing it from totem tress cable I was using for Arros and was told that if this was better they would include pieces of cable instead these metal ones. It is not that I do not believe you but this was from Totem after all. They do not sell these parts, there are included so why would they lie?
Pablo

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4231
To join the 200 other speaker manufacturers who include them and state that it's best if you use them. It won't kill you to try Nuck's suggestion and it might (will) be worthwhile.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6160
Pablo, they don't suggest that you bi-wire, either?
Are you here for advise from aged, experienced audio guys, or not?
And me, too.
Pull the metal strips for wayyyy better than any wiring you might try (for now).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I will try this for sure
tahnks
Pablo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us