Simple question (I think ) about sub hookup...

Username: Bebopdeluxe

Post Number: 10
Building a system for my vacation home...I have two pairs of Mirage Omnisats and a 10" Mirage sub...CD player-based, two-channel system...two receivers that I am looking at (NAD C7200BEE and Outlaw RR2150) have A/B speakers and a dedicated RCA sub out...if I want to expand this list of speakers something like, say, an Arcam A65/75/80 - which has A/B speakers but no dedicated sub out, the questions are 1) how do I hook up the two-channel pre-out of the amp to a single RCA sub input, 2) do I choose the L channel, R channel or use a Y-adapter out of the amp, and 3) will using a single channel out of the amp to the sub be a problem - either in terms of sound or amp load/imbalance?

I would think that this kind of connection happens enough that there MUST be a standard way to do this - yes? Oor should I just buy the C7200BEE or RR2150 and forget the other options?

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4177
That question was already answered on another thread Bill. I believe I even provided a link to the type of product you use for the connection. Is there an answer that you want or are looking for? Because it seems that you continue to ask the same question over and over.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Art:

Sorry, bro...don't mean to waste people's time here...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4178
Not a problem Bill. If you need more info that's ok, but as you've stated the question here I believe it was addressed on the other thread.

Don't use a single channel but instead use a Y adaptor like the one I provided a link for. You can (I've done it in the past) use the pre outs of a good integrated. You don't have to settle for a receiver if you don't want to. The options are yours.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Art:

Many thanks...focusing now on the Cambridge Audio Azur 640A v2, as well as the Arcam A80 and NAD 372...I am using two pairs of Mirage Omnisats in a livingroom/kitchen/great room of a vacation house - I am a big fan of omni speakers (I have a pair of Ohm Walshs in my home rig), and I believe that the Omnisats will work well in a large room without one set "listening place" (the speakers unobtrusiveness were also important WAF's in the decision)...and the $79/speaker price at Vanns did not hurt either!

Another poster (Hawk) suggested that the Cambridge Azur 640A v2 might compliment the Omnisat's need for richer, fuller mids and less-than-strident highs...and the Azur certainly has the "price/value" thing working for it as well (don't want to drop a TON of $$$ on an amp for these speakers). If anything - getting back to this forum's subject matter - I am starting to question whether the Mirage sub that I purchased (an LF-150 that is generally paired with the Omnisats - cost me $250) will be OK...I would think that - at that price point - there probably isn't a TON to choose from...is there anything at, say, less than $400, that I should consider in a sub, or will the Mirage be acceptable for my needs?

Thanks AGAIN...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4179
I believe that this sub is an excellent value and would seriously outperform your Mirage.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

If you are satisfieed with your Mirage then by all means hang onto it. If not the Hsu is a cost effective alternative.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4180
BTW those Cambridge amps sound very nice and are an outstanding value as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Art:

Actually doing some work on the Hsu VTF-2 mk2...trying to see if I can find a used one on Audiogon...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4181
I used to own a VTF-2 mk2. It should work well for your application.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us