Musical Fidelity A1 driving Acoustic Energy AE1's?

Username: Khai

Post Number: 1
Hi all, I'm fairly new to high end audio, and managed to procure a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1's a few years ago - which I'm looking to build a system around. I have a line on a Musical Fidelity A1 amp, but am unsure as to whether it has enough juice to power my speakers, as I'm told that they're quite difficult to drive (by today's standards).

Will the A1 have enough power to drive my AE1's?

Thanks,

Khai

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1204
Khai:

In a word, no. You are suggesting mating a very low efficiency speaker (84 db) with a very low power integrated amp (20wpc). Added to the fact that the AE1 has been out of production for over a decade, I would suggest that you probably won't even get the 20wpc rating. A lack of adequate power will manifest itself with a thin, anemic sound, that will sound somewhat congested in the bass. While I understand the the appeal of a Musical Fidelity amp, this is not the one for those speakers.

I am also driving a pair of low efficiency speakers (Dynaudio Audience 42s) with the same efficnecy rating. I can tell you I am driving them with a 100 wpc Rotel amp and that is barely enough to really drive my speakers. And Rotel amps are an honest 100 wpc, not a mass market amp phantom power.

I would recommend you investigate a newer amp with better power such as an NAD C325bee, a Rotel RA-1062 or RA-06, or even a Cambridge Audio amp, such as the 540A or 640A.

Good luck!

Post Number: 2
Thanks - I'll keep looking. Would you mind explaining (or pointing me to a link if it's been hashed to death) the whole power rating deal? I saw this amp (the A1) listed as "Class A" and am somewhat confused as to how the class ratings work and how it all ties in to wpc. For example, another amp I read about (that's way out of my price range) lists the following:

Pathos Classic One Mk II Integrated Amplifier.
Output power is rated at 70 Wpc/8 ohms (135 Wpc/4 ohms). It delivers 12 Wpc of pure class-A.

Lastly, what do you think of the Outlaw RR2150? Would that drive my AE1's well?

Thanks so much,

Khai

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1205
Khai:

1. I know Musical Fidelity made the case that the A1 was a Class A design, but that is just not true. It was Class A for only the first few watts, but that is true for almost any amp. Otherwise, it was a true Class AB amp, just like 99% of all amps in the market. Frankly, I am not technically gifted enough to explain Class A versus Class AB, except to say, I know Class AB is far more efficient. I would not worry myself with what class an amplifier is--just figure a tube based amp is probably Class A and a solid state (electronic) amp is almost always Class AB.

2. More importantly, I do think the Outlaw would be an excellent choice for your speakers. The Outlaw is a wonderful receiver, extremely well built as far as I can see, and has plenty of power (a very good thing with your AE1s!). It is a very good match, quality wise, with your speakers. Sonically, it is also a very good match for your speakers, as well, as the warmth of the AEs will work very well with the clean, precise and somewhat lean sounding Outlaw. You did not give me a possible budget, so I assumed you wanted something on the less expensive side (although the Outlaw, at $699, is very reasonably priced), so that is the only reason I did not suggest it in the first place. Given their 30 day home trial, I think you should get one and try it out with your speakers--that is the only way you will know with any certainty if it is the right amp for you.

Enjoy!

Post Number: 3
Thanks Hawk, that is great to hear - I placed an order for the Outlaw today. :-)

I've been trying to balance spending a "reasonable" amount with something that I'll be happy with. When I first purchased my AE1's I also picked up a Cambridge Audio CD player and Amp that I was not happy with at all. That experience kind of burned me on the "low end" Hi-Fi stuff, and I sold off everything save the speakers when I moved a short while later. As such, I'm a little bit wary of "inexpensive" audio gear - but at the same time, I can't afford Mark Levinson either.

I'm looking to pick up a Rega Apollo to use as my source, which I think will feed the Outlaw/AE1 combo quite nicely.

Thanks much for your help!

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1213
Khai:

Give us an update on your system once you get all of your gear hooked up. We are all still learning. so hearing what you like and don't like about system is helpful to us all. So let us know. Enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us