Used C720BEE or new RR2150 - worth $200?

Username: Bebopdeluxe

Post Number: 1
Hey there...new to the forum...I am building a CD-only system for a vacation home...as opposed to my home rig (Manley Stingray, Music Hall MMF-7 w/Benz Micro Ace & Lehmann Black Cube, Ohm Walsh 100 mk-2's, etc...), this is going to be a system that is as much about form as function...trying to keep the whole system down to around $2,000...for family/convienence sake, I am getting a Tube Research Labs-modified Sony SCD-CE595 carosel, which will run about $900 (any owners out there?)...for speakers, I am using two pairs of Mirage Omnisat's (it's for a big combo LR/FR/great room/kitchen space, so I am going with omnidirectional speakers), with a Mirage sub (was able to do the whole thing at Vanns for $550). For an amplifier or receiver, I need a unit with A/B speakers and a sub out...

So...

The two units that I have narrowed it down to are the NAD C720BEE and the Outlaw RR2150...both seem to be pretty well regarded around here. Here's the dilemma - I frequently see either remanufactured or Audiogon C720's in the $400-450 range, while the Outlaw (which is still pretty new) is direct at $650.

Is the Outlaw worth $200-250 more? I like the adjustable sub crossover...but the NAD's fixed 100hz crossover is fine for the Omnisat's (it's probably where I would set it anyway). Am I missing any other options out there? These are a step up from the Onkyo TX-SR504/HK 3480-type units...I am assuming that both the NAD and Outlaw are a step up in terms of performance - yes? If I am going to spend $750 for the TRL mod for the Sony 595, I want to have a power source that does justice to the mod...yes?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6014
Bill, do you have a TT?
If so, the Outlaw has a very nice feature there.
I think the Outlaw and it's bass management(dual zones) leave more available for the future.
I have not read a bad word about the RR2150, other than 'in short supply'.
I almost bought one, and still might(no vinyl here).
The RR2150 looks good, I have talked to the guys right there, and issues are resolved in house there, for the time being, at least, until they bloom.
Scott was very helpful.

Post Number: 2
Nuck:

This system will not have a turntable...I have a turntable in my home system (a Music Hall MMF-7), but I have a Lehmann Black Cube for that...I do understand that the Outlaw has a phono stage, but I really don't need it...and if I ever DO need to hook a TT up to the NAD down the road, I can always pick up something like a Parasound Z-Phono if I need to.

It just sees to me that - if all that I need is a good power source for a CD player that can hook up two sets of speakers and a sub, both the NAD and the Outlaw fit the bill...just trying to decide if I want to pay $200+ more for the Outlaw. I really do not even need the tuner...if I could find an intergrated amp that would push two sets of speakers and a sub, I would be down with that...but I can't seem to find one of those animals. Perhaps I will go over to the amplifiers forum and see if something like that exists...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6021
Or a Rotel 1062...
The Outlaw sound a lot like a Rotel kit, much different than the Nad.

Post Number: 5
Nuck:

Is the Rotel RA-1062 not having a dedicated sub out an issue? Many amps have stereo line outs...will I have a problem with sending one of those two channels to a separate active sub?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4162
The 1062 has pre outs and that is what you use for the sub.

Post Number: 6
Art:

Just to placate a relative newbie, it does not matter if I only use one of the pre outs to connect the single RCA jack to the sub? Does it matter if I use the left or right channel? No problems with the amp to have an unbalanced output used on a permanent basis?

Sorry to be so a-n-a-l about this...but if I can get comfortable with this, it really does open up another group of options...just not sure if that is a good thing or not...

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 273
Bill,

I know you directed you question to Art, but say you use the R-Line Out to your sub woofer, what happens to the left side frequencies under 100Hz, if that is what you use for the roll off from the Omnistats?

Post Number: 7
My question exactly...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4165
Use an adaptor that connects to the L/R on the pre outs. Ixos makes a nice on e for cheap.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4166
http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MCMB1000SW8M

Something like that can be had from a whole lotta different cable companies. The Monster just happens to be the one I could pull up quickly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6032
Are we takin' care of ya Bill, or what?
Now you are back to the outlaw being much more capable than the other(lesser) brand.
This is where flexibility comes to the fore.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6033
The Outlaw offes multiple outs, a miriad of bass options and more high quality stuff than a similarly priced import brand, and does so with a very heavy power supply.
Compare the weights.

Post Number: 8
Nuck:

I appreciate the enthusiasm, bro...

I like what I have read about the Outlaw...not necessarily wed to the NAD...but if I can use cables for the pre-out for my sub, then other options (like, say, the Rotel mentioned above or an Arcam) are also options. Fot those who have a good working knowledge of these amps (Outlaw, Arcam, Rotel and the like), are you saying that the GUTS of the Outlaw is better than the guts of, say, the Arcam A65 plus or A80?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4169
See above Bill...you can use your sub with the Rotel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6036
Bill, I cannot comment on the Arcam, But I have seen the gutts of the Outlaw 970 pre,and Ilike the build.
The rst of the line is built as well, so far as I have read.

Berny has Outlaw...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4170
Outlaw is well built but IMO does not sound anywhere near as good as an Arcam integrated.

Post Number: 9
Art:

That is what I have heard...that while the Outlaw may be better than the NAD or Rotel, the Arcam A65 and A75 are POTENTIALLY on a different level...and I can probably find a used A65 + for under $500...which is why I am trying to get comfortable with the ability to use the pre-out for the sub...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4173
I really don't think that Outlaw is even better than NAD and Rotel.

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 50
NO WAY FOR SURE

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 51
If i had the cash i would get the arcam for sure the sound is excellent i've heard and well you have to love the looks!!! all around price and performance the nad for sure
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us