More sub help!

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 500
So i got my sub (dayton titanic MKIII 12) and a 500w rms Bash plate amp. I hooked it up, talked to parts express adn they said it would be fine in a 1.3cu ft sealed box. So i put it in (its a temp. box...until i can track down a table saw). I have 2 problems.

1. The sub bottoms out kinda easy, with gain at no more than half on the amp, and volume not quite 1/2 on my reciever, on rap songs with heavy bass...and even some normal songs i can hear the driver bottoming out. I tried to seal the box extra good and went crazy with silicon lol, it got better but still happens. There might still be an old screw hole or 2 i missed under the carpet, is this enough to cause this problem or amd i just overpowering the sub??? (its rated for 500wrms...)

2. I am having placement trouble, i can barely hear it in the room (althuogh it shakes the walls in the room right above it lol.) I tried having it firing right at me didn't work, tried into a corner behind me which was a little better. Should i trie to put it in a downfiring box or something or just experiment more?????

Thx for helping me...!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4153
1)Turn it down. Yes you are driving it too hard.

2)Do some research online relative to sub placement. If you still need help with it (which you shouldn't) come on back and ask.

Silver Member

Post Number: 501
I have trouble believeing that less than 1/2 gain on the amp and not even 1/2 volume on the receiver can make my sub bottom out....i've way overpowerd car subs before and its still a stretch to make them bottome out as easy as this one....

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4157
It isn't a car sub Josh. Car subs are built to make noise and lots of it. A decent home sub is built to make music...different goals call for different design priorities. It sounds like you are trying to recreate the same kind of noise that you make in a car at home...judging by the fact that you bought a Dayton sub, your goal cannot be met without spending way more than you are willing to.

This sub will meet your goals:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-ultra2.cfm

If you're willing to put out the bucks for it, I'm sure you can get the police called on you several times within your first hour of use. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 316
The general rule of thumb that I have gone by for home audio subs (courtesy of my Paradigm dealer) is that if you have the gain at halfway, your sub is too small for your needs.

My sub (when I use it) has the gain around 1/4 capacity, and that is only an 8 inch, but a semi-decent one (although I have heard much better, and usually have it off)

Silver Member

Post Number: 502
I'm gonna disagree with you on the "car subs are built to make a lot of noise" comment. That is completly false (for all car subs at least...some are just made to be loud..) ...but lets not start an argument.

the 1/4 gain thing is probably were i need to set it because thats about perfect for not bottoming out the drvier on heavy bass and the reciever as loud as i ever turn it.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1663
I'd agree more with art. Well I don't quite agree with the sub thing, as there are a LOT of car subs. I'm more with the SVS idea..

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4172
That's funny I thought that there were a whole bunch of db contests around this country...

I used to own an Alpine/Xtant/Phoenix Gold/Nakamichi/JL Audio car system. I know they aren't all made for noise. I just don't remember the last SQ car audio contest in my parts, nor do I remember the last db contest for home audio.

Just listening to the cars rolling down the road and going into your local car audio store tells more about the goals of most car audio enthusiasts than I could ever say.

Nonetheless I still hold that an SVS serves well those folks who are looking for a lot of bass.

Silver Member

Post Number: 503
I'm sure thats a great sub, i'm not saying your wrong, car audio is more about spl than HT, i just didn't like how you generalized that all car subs are built for pure spl...and yes there are lots of sq contests for car audio too, just less frequent/more serious (not scattered all over the place like spl contests)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us