Advice on Packing a TT for Shipping?

Silver Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC

Post Number: 122
The seller of a used table I recently purchased is preparing to ship it shortly. I haven't inquired with him about packaging to ensure that the TT, dustcover, and cartridge arrive intact.
Does anyone possess packaging advice worthwhile to pass on before he ships it?
It is a Music Hall MMF-7 and I believe that the cartridge is already mounted, as it came from the factory.

Thanks a bunch,
Lovegasoline

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 807
Best thing is for the TT to be shipped in the original box and repacked the way it came.

Anything short of that is going to be risky, especially if the shipper in unfamiliar with packing TTs. Make sure the platter is taken OFF the table and secured inside the box so it can't move around. Make sure the tonearm is secured to the table with twisty ties or tape, if not packed separately. Make sure the stylus guard is on the cart. Make sure the box is clearly marked fragile. And I don't know what else. Oh yeah, pray it gets to you safely.

Silver Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC

Post Number: 124
TC,
Good advice. I hadn't thought of removing the platter. Would it be possible to damage the spindle bearing with the platter installed and going crazy in all directions during shipment?

Have you any idea if removing the platter normally necessitates removing the spindle and/or spindle bearing so they do not go AWOL or are they generally secured to the plinth?

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 811
It's possible that a loose platter would damage the spindle, but a more common occurrence during shipping is the platter coming loose and damaging the tonearm and/or stylus. I'm not familiar with the design of the MMF-7, but I'm almost positive that the spindle and bearing are securely attached to the plinth. There'd be no need to disassemble them for shipping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us