H/K Locking up?

Username: Ontittech

Post Number: 5
I finally got my new H/K 235 Receiver set up, and everything is working great, the system really kicks, but I am having problems when I have my 2 Front Floor Speakers connected. The Receiver seems to be locking up. It will be on, and then all of a sudden, it will shut off. It doesn't seem to be going into protect, as I see no message about it, it just immediately shuts off. and I am unable to power the unit back on until I unplug it for 15-30 seconds, and hold the power button in while it is unplugged to drain the power.
When I disconnect my floor speakers and connect my other pair of front speakers, everything seems to be ok.
my surround sound speakers are Sony Satellite Speakers (35W a piece @ 6 Ohms) and my two front speakers (for Bass, and for better enjoyment of LPs) are Cambridge Audio 3-Way Speakers (125w a piece @ 6Ohms)

It's not an overheating issue, as the receiver is not getting warm to the touch.

It's getting quite annoying as when the main Fronts are connected the system really kicks, and works beautifully, but without them the sound becomes quite tinny as the Satellites are only 4" speakers

anyone have any idea what could be causing the HK to lock up? are those front speakers over powering the amp?

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1145
I'd try adjusting the crossover to the CA's to at least 80Hz, just guessing you have them set to large. The HK 235 IMO is good for powering sattelites and it will do this well. With floorstanders or low sensitivity speakers, or speakers rated below 8 Ohms, one should have the 335 or up, the difference between the 135/235 to the 335/435/635 is quite noticable.

Post Number: 6
well that seemed to do the trick.

my only issue now is the component Video.
my TV is just a simple 29" Samsung that has Component Input for 480i, but everything I have hooked up automatically shifts into at least 480p which causes a split screen as the screen is not interlaced properly.

is there anything I can do about this? (other than buy a better TV.)

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1146
Just use S-Video, the quality difference at 480i is insignificant.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 413
Can H/K recievers run 6ohms?

cause I have the avr-245 and i got the sattelites from my altec computer speakers as rears and there 6 ohms and the amp does fine.

They look well built and looks like they could handle the load

mines with in 10 minutes warms up to about 20 degrees

and stays there

Post Number: 7
Yes the H/K's can run 6 Ohms.
I think my problem was my CA's that I am using for my front are 125W a piece, and have quite a draw to them. By changing the crossover to 80, it eliminated a lot of the draw when I was playing Bass heavy audio. so now I am looking into SW's to fill in that missing range.

I love the H/K. It has really grown on me. I have almost forgotten about the Denon I was looking at before I found the H/K

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 416
Why dont they post that stuff in the specs??

Yea the H/Ks are some very fine amps indeed

Post Number: 8
I take back what I said about the Draw.
Now my receiver is stuck in Protect, and I cannot get it to come out no matter what I try
I have unplugged it for 12+ hours, Drained the Caps, tried a Hard-reboot of the ROM (Hold the Tone Mode Button) and when I originally tried it, it brought the receiver back for a split second, and not it won't come out at all.

I think it needs to be serviced. but I need to find a Good Service Center around me, the only one listed on the H/K site does not list a location. and I would much prefer to Drop the receiver off in person, rather than have to ship it off for 4-6 weeks.

I have only had the thing for 3 weeks, and I love the reciver, but I am having too many problems with it to really enjoy it.

Anyone know of any good H/K Authorized Service Centers, or even very good shops that will repair H/K's in SW Ontario (London and Area)

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 423
Haha i'm in kitchener,ont

Anyways I wanna just use mine as processer maybe you should do the same,

Get a bryston or a nad to run the speakers , Use the pre-amp section

Post Number: 9
If only I had the cash to do that.

the problem is it won't even turn on now, so the only thing it is good for is to keep my cables organized, and a paper weight.

I got a couple of H/K authorized Dealers in Town.
now to find the damn Receipt.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6085
Jesse, take it back for a replacement.
Where did you buy it?
Have you contacted them with the ongoing problems?
London is hometown.
Steve's tv in Kitchener?

Post Number: 10
Yea I contacted H/K about the problems yesterday, they said it sounds like the ROM was not correctly written, and so cannot be reset now (thus I cannot bring it out of Protect.)
They said it should take all of 15-20 minutes to fix.

Advanced Audio/Video on Meg Dr. here in London is the Authorized H/K repair Center.

I am going to go the repair route, as I cannot return it, but it is still under warrantee as it was purchased over 30 days ago.
I don't mind having to take it in, as long as the problems stop there.

If the problems don't stop there, then I start contacting H/K and getting them directly involved, because I know their equipment is better than this.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 425
Hope all goes well , I never thought about steves tv it only a 20 minute walk for me :D

Gold Member

Post Number: 6095
I did an aud of B&w there at Steve's, but I cannot get around buying 702's and waiting in line behind a grannie returning a toaster that 'browns too much on one side'.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6096
Take it out to meg Dr., Jesse, but call ahead and make sure tha they know what you are there for. make an appt., so as not made to stand around.
This is their fault, but the center doesn't care about that.
Call ahead, give details, and expect an in and out.

Yeah, I know, save it for another post.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 428
Nuck your in k-w area?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6129
I pass through.
Like I pass through everywhere in North America.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 430
Oh I see thats kool , make round trips eh? thats kool

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 431
Oh I see thats kool , make round trips eh? thats kool

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 432
Oh I see thats kool , make round trips eh?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6165
to the airport, Kyle.
Yes,I get around.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us