Tell me how?

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 661
Can someone tell me what device to buy so I can hook up one set of speakers to 2 different amps? I am looking for a switch box that will allow this. Can anyone tell me where to buy this?

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 256
hmmm... I will look around and see what I can find. I am not sure if such a thing exists outside of the demo units you see in stores.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1170
i was wondering the same thing. would running a basic speaker switch backwards work?

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
it might, but cheap ones are known to have issues with sending ALL the signal into the speaker it is supposed to be sent to. You could be sending the signal from one amp INTO another one via the speaker terminals, albeit at a low level. This may not be good even if this idea would work.

Bronze Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 23
(I hope I don't sound too stupid here)
Pardon me if I am misunderstanding the question, but couldn't a switchboard be easily made with a few banana plugs/posts and jumpers??

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9768

Any switching between one speaker connected to two or more amplifier channels will require a positive action to the switch and must a null or break point in the switching process. A speaker selector run "backwards" will not provide the necessary isolation between outputs and will typically load down the amplifier unecessarily.

The suggestion to make a patch panel from banana jacks is the correct idea though I would sub 1/4" mono or stereo phone jacks for the banana connections. This is the way you will see this problem solved in a studio situation. This is the most certain way to make the connection without ever allowing the amplifiers to feed voltage to one another.

If you want a switch, you will need a triple throw switch with the appropriate number of poles to provide either mono or stereo switching. You will also need to know whether either of your amplifiers has a common ground plane for either the switch or the patch bay. In all likelyhood, they do not but don't take my word for this. Check.

A triple throw switch will have a hot connection at either extreme and a null point in the center when wired correctly for this set up. You will have to provide a switch that can handle the voltage/current output of your amplifiers. I know of no such switches pre-assembled that are not fairly costly.

In either case, switch or patch panel, you should always make absolutely certain the amplifiers are powered down before you make or break the connection.

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
either that, or high quality speaker wire instead of jumpers.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9769

I think this might fill the bill for a patch panel.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=245-145

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
wow...how come my post took so long to show up? that's wierd...

I would take Jan's advice on this. He is much more knowledgable than I am when it comes to electrical aspects.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9773

If you use the patch panel, the jacks for the amplifiers should not share a common ground. You want to isolate the two amplifiers' outputs from each other. This is most important if there is any possibility anyone else will be using the system. As you shop for a panel, just tell the dealer how you are planning to use the system. If you have a pro audio shop in your town, they will more than likely have something they can show you.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 662
Thank you all. I shall investigate all of these options. I did not think that it would be so difficult to find a regular switch box but I am no electronic genious either!

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 663
Now that I think of it, I wonder if my initial question was clear? What I am looking for is to hook up one subwoofer to two different amps BUT not having them running at the same time ONLY to have the option of not having to change interconnects.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9782

"As you shop for a panel, just tell the dealer how you are planning to use the system. If you have a pro audio shop in your town, they will more than likely have something they can show you."
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us