Which floor standing loud speakers should I buy?

Username: Jps1010

Post Number: 1
For Xmas my gf bought me a Onkyo 804 receiver (105 wpc). I am looking to find a good pair of floor standing loud speakers (max $2000 a pair) that can be used for both HT and music play back. I have listened to and liked the Def Tech 7004's but they arent very pleasing to the eye. I have searched online and have come across Paradigm, Polk (LSi15 model) and PSB. All would match my living room. Any idea which are the best value? Or do you know of another brand that would suit my needs. The music I listen to varys greatly, anywhere from Classical to R&B/Rap (usually a lot of bass). The Polks are nice but would 4 ohms be a problem for my receiver?

Any help any can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12920
Unless the receiver is rated to handle a 4 ohm load, then you may encounter a problem. Not a lot of mass market receivers can handle that type of load.

Paradigm is a great choice. Take a look at Axiom as well.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 468
If you like the sound of aluminum by all means check out AXIOM. I purchased the M50s and promptly returned them. The sound is colored. Tap on the aluminum mid/woofer driver with the tip of your finger. That is the sound you hear in the music. The tweeter IS sweet and smooth though, I'll give them that. For the money they charge you can easily choose much better speakers at a brick and mortar store that you can actually listen to before you plunk down your money.

Post Number: 2
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feed back. I have been looking at the Paradigms but the ones i am interested in are a little over my budget. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 260
The Paradigm Monitor series would be under your budget, and a receiver will be able to drive them nicely.

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
I also wouldn't drive the Studio series paradigms (the ones that would be over your budget) with a receiver anyway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
FWIW... I wouldn't recommend driving ANY speaker that is priced around $2000 with a receiver. Many of them will come from the upper-middle end of the companies that are in your price range. These will most likely be a difficult drive for your receiver, unless it is a bookshelf speaker.

Am I incorrect in thinking this?

I know that receivers like NAD and Adcom are exempt from this rule.

Post Number: 3
Hey Gavin, thanks for the info. I plan on checking out the Paradigm Monitor series this weekend. Should I also take a look at the Monitor RS8 Silver series?

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
I am not really that informed on Monitor Audio.

I would throw in B&W 600 series speakers as well.

All of these speakers have a different sound, which isn't a bad thing when you are trying to figure out what you want out of a speaker system.

The Paradigm Monitor and B&W 600 are good enough to show off what your system is capable of, but will improve if you add an amp down the line, meaning that a CD player here, an amp here, and good cables there will showcase what these speakers are capable of.

However, they are also able to be driven with a receiver and will sound great doing so

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 469
Try the Energy C-500 if there is a dealer in your area.

A couple links..

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=291

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC500
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us