Cambridge audio 340a Question

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 27
Quick question guys can you use and external amp with the cambridge audio 340a??
I'm almost 90% sure i'll get the titan v5 but think it will need more power if i get this int amp. and definately need more juice for those speakers or the my second choice the psb b25.
Can someone help me out with info. Or should I just save money and get the hk3380 like i was planning. Was thinking i could get better sound quality outta the CA and latter add external amp if that is possible?? not sure

Say a refurbished model on AA http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2CA340ASIL

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4018
Why not a Cambridge 540A or NAD C325BEE.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 28
they would be a better option just watching my budget. plus i willstill need a tuner was trying to keep everything under 400 including the shipping since i can get the rxv659 for about price here. but art does it have preout i cant seem to see any on the diagram of the back panel??

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5845
But Chico, with a better integrated, you do not need another amp.
Link your puter to the thing for radio online?
XM works pretty well.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 29
sounds nice but keep in mind where i am no xm radio in this island not in the states i wish. oh believe it or not no isp at home only when i'm in the office. if i had it at home i would not sleep lol

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 30
So guys i really need a tuner thats why i was looking at a receiver but the cost of the 340a plus a tuner was viable. But you are thinking thats a bad idea due to it's being weak or does it have inferior sound quality??

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 32
Ok guys will look into the 540A refurbished of audioavisor or a potential deal on on the hk3480, can anyone tell me the about the quaility of CA products would they be on par with lets say nad or a step below. would they pair nicely with paradigm monitor speakers??

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 52
cant' compare to NAD,but i have had a cambridge 540A v1 for well over a year now without a hitch!.
and the sound is awesome.solid construction.
also use it with a cambridge 640c v2 through PSB image b25 monitor speakers
to my ears an excellent system and the 540a would a fine "budget" choice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5864
There you go, chico.

Mitch, what stands are supporting, or isolating, the B25's?

Bronze Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 53
nuck
i use atlantis SPF speaker stands.i dont use the "floor posts" as i don't want to scratch the hardwood floors of my rented apt. :-)

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 33
mucho gusto mike........... i like those psb's myself leaning toward the new paradigm titans. I'm very serious looking at the refurbished 540a v2 of AA. Might just get one new for a few bucks more. I like the plateau stands myself or some lovans i think they are called looking for something that will match the teak decor in my flat

Gold Member

Post Number: 5875
chico, I must agree with your stands.
It really is hard to match every time, and a good visual/visural match is important.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 34
So mike and nuck your put CA a step behind nad?? intresting and rotel and nad or well simalair in grouping?? I know rotel has nicer looks and better construction to me hence greater cost. But my minor exposure they seem close sonically. Arcam now thats sweet.......

Bronze Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 54
good luck with choosing new equipment chicomoralessxm
keep us posted
so nuck no comment on my speakers stands?

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 36
Hey hears another question or maybe I should start a new thread. but i'm looking for a tuner need on simply to pick up local stations fm am stuff. Dont have any xm radio locally. Any ideas used is definately an option looking for something on a tight budget 100-200 max

Gold Member

Post Number: 5882
Mitch, are the speaks de-coupled or attached?

Bronze Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 55
what does that mean? they are not attached to the stands just placed on them

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 37
Ok guys have any of you heard of http://www.spearitsound.com is this a good company to buy stuff from??

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4066
Chico man keep your eyes on the prize...Paradigm speaker closeouts will not include the new models...first of all Paradigm doesn't allow their products to be sold online and secondly they wouldn't be closing out their new line.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 40
LOL i'm not totally nuts ART i'm getting my speakers from an authorised dealor in Puerto rico I was checking out spearitsound for CA stuff and saw some used NAD equipment as well and oh a tuner

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4068
Just checkin' Chico...

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 41
no prob i'm young an undoubtly quite stupid lol

Bronze Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 56
NUCK
i just realized that i can "isolate" my stands from the floor.used the rubber bits and the four "posts to move them from the floor.is that what you meant?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5927
Kind of, Mitch.
I have heard the b25's coupled to a loaded stand(even bolted down), and another setup with blutak on lighter stands, either coupling or de-coupling the speaks from terra firma.
I wondered how you run.

Chico, sorry about this sidebar.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 43
hey guys never a problem its all about sharing knowledge right???

Bronze Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 60
yeah it's all good chicomorales....
so nuck
you mean move the speakers off the stands? by using something called blutak?

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 45
Ok guys what are you views on the denon dra297 will it do the job power a pair of the new paradigm titans? and does anyone know about the sound quality of the denon stereo receivers vs lets say the Pioneer vsx816(or older814) vs hk3380. Or would the nadc325bee be a better idea. Sound wise and performance hmmm i think so. But heres another problem I would still need a tuner (teac prob) it only handles one pair of speakers, any ideas guys.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 47
any thoughta guys??

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4141
"Or would the nadc325bee be a better idea. Sound wise and performance hmmm i think so."

Yes an NAD would be far better.

Find a used vintage tuner to go with the NAD. They look cool, sound great, and are very inexpensive.

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 48
so the next step down from the nad would be??

Gold Member

Post Number: 5995
Chico, if you step down from the Nad price/performance envelope, it's a fair step.
IMHO.

Bronze Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 61
hey! the cambridge 540 or 640 seris would
not be a bad choice at all!!

geez i am listening to cambridge 640C v2 along with cambridge 540A v1 with PSB image speakers and it all sounds as good as it gets!!!

Bronze Member

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 62
i listen to all kinds of music modem composition
rock and roll and all in between,so i think my modest system would compensate for taste in music

Bronze Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 49
well i just got a good quote from a dealor hawk suggusted thanks immensely. Hope everything works out ok looking at the nadc720 if i find the extra funds it a has a/b speakers so thats good for my next set of speakers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us