Speaker grills

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 55
I know, speaker grills/clothes are meant to be stored in the cellar or garage...you certainly wouldn't put them on your speakers, because the speakers will look dull and sound inferior with them on.

But boy o boy, I wished I had used them.

I wanted to connect my DVD player on my amp just to check how it would sound and compare to my cd player.
I disconnected the wire and while lifting the DVD player to remove it from the cabin (where the TV and VCR is placed) its wire swings and knocks at my left speakers alloy bass cone...

A little bump (how do you call it in English?) in the mat-silver colored alloy cone as a result.

I'm far from being materialistic, but it took me hours to get out of a bad mood and to stop staring at the damage I had caused.
What a shame!

So far I haven't heard a difference and probably there's no other damage than a tiny bust in an esthetically pleasing image of the speaker I have.

But does anyone know if this slight damage will have any influence on the speaker's...the bass cone's performance?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3986
I can relate Nout, sorry about your bump. It probably won't have any audible impact. Put the grilles on and enjoy.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5822
Ooops, Nout.
The worst thing to do would to try and remove the bump. Like Art said, put the grilles on and ignore it.
The small mark will not matter at all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Thanks for the replies guys,

Yes I have put the grills on and currently am ignoring the bump.

Nuck, it's funny you mention the trying to remove the bump thing...as a matter of fact I was considering this at first, but knowing my own record in making matters worse, I soon didn't think of it as an option anymore.

(I most certainly would have ended up in:
1. damaging the cone further,
2. destroying both speakers completely in a raging anger
3. buying a new pair of speakers)

Thank god I controlled myself!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5825
Best to accept the fact, rather than turn green and tear up your clothing, etc.
I wonder why his/your pants never tear off?

Maybe Bill Bixby had a smallie.

Put on some soothing music, Nout.
I raise a glass to your restraint and resignation to things you cannot control.

Bronze Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 77
Sorry to hear about that Nout, and I can relate as well coz it happened to me a few times....But it's good to hear that there was no serious damage...yeah they're right, try to listen to some good music and try to forget about it (it's hard though!)...don't remove the grill for a while so you'll not be reminded of it...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3994
Mout, that last post of yours is a classic. Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't know anyone who can't relate to that experience.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Well to me the speakers sound much better with the bump, much more experienced, so I am considering duplicating the exact bump, taken from the correct angle and with identical velocity, on my right speaker...just kidding!

Thanks guys!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5834
Atta boy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us