NAD C542 + Verbatim Pastel CD-R = Problem

Username: Dimedrol

Post Number: 1
Hi everybody. Sorry for my English I'm from Russia.

I'm owner of NAD C542 CD Player for 6 month already and it worked fine for me but several weeks ago I bought a cake of Verbatim Pastel CD-Rs (made by Tayo Yuden) which it seems are disliked by NAD for some reason. At first I experienced problems with playing some CD-Rs (Verbatim Pastel). Those CD-Rs were determined by player and it showed track list but wasn't able to start playing either first track or complete CD. At the same time all other CD-Rs (Verbatim Datalife, Philips CD80, Smartbuy Vinyl) as well as Verbatim and LG CD-RWs were played fine.
I tried to use different versions of my burning software (Nero Burning ROM ver 6 and 7), I tried to upgrade firmware of my recorder NEC 3540 to latest one (1.0.4), tried to record Verbatim Pastel CD-Rs using another recorder (NEC 3550) but problem persisted: I wasn't able to play either first track or the complete CD. All of those unplayable CD-Rs played great on any other CD-playing device I tried, this includes my old Harman Kardon HD710 and portable iRiver iMP550.
Then I found here on ecoustics (https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/169450.html) bulletin from nadelectronics.com, describing hardware patch allowing improve playability of my player. And I applied it by myself. Now the situation has changed but it looks like it became even worse then before. Now player is almost unable to play and sometimes even detect Verbatim Pastel CD-Rs although all other CD-Rs and CD-RWs seem to be recognized and played fine.

My question is whether anybody has problem similar to mine? Is it a general problem of C542 unableto play Verbatim Pastel CD-Rs?
I'm looking for Service Manual for C542. If you have one, please send it to me to dimedrol(at)tut(dot)by. Many thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1147
http://nadelectronics.com/svc/

Password: NADITA
Username: SERVICE

Use caps. Hope this helps.

Username: Ronel_salve

Post Number: 10
As I understand the post of dmitry, he already found that hardware patch as stated in the nad bulletin and applied it to the unit. But still the playability of the unit is not improving in fact it became worse than before. then why do you have to show that nadita/service when he already applied it to the unit?

Bronze Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 87
He said "And I applied it by myself"....The procedure involves changing 4 resistors and 1 capacitor...Is he technically experienced in doing such?

Not a good decision, I think since the unit is only 6 months...should have brought to the dealer...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4044
"then why do you have to show that nadita/service when he already applied it to the unit?"

Half or more of his problem might be that he applied it himself and he may just need to have it serviced. What's difficult to understand about that.

Post Number: 2
Yes, the patch is applied. I decided to do it by myself since it is quite simple (as arnold wrote, just changing 4 resistors and 1 capacitor). The job was done very carefully and I don't think I did something wrong.
Does anybody have Verbatim Pastel CD-Rs recorded to check them in NAD C542? Do you notice any unusual delay during initial disc recognition? Nad service said this might be a problem of incompatibility with Pastel discs. But I actually don't believe in this since those discs are nearly perfect. To play them is a MUST for any CD-player, especially those claiming to have great CDR/CDRW readability (like C542).

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1167
Ronald Salve - try reading:

"I'm looking for Service Manual for C542"

This is why I gave Dmity the Service site information. Got it now!

Post Number: 3
unfortunately, NAD have changed password for NADITA. But there were no service manual for C542 on nadelectronics.com/svc though. They just put there user manual instead of it probably due to security reasons.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1169
Sorry Dmitry, so they have, what a shame. I have the C542 and I did download the service manual - only to discover it is for the C541i. Maybe it is very similar. If you want to send me a pm with your email address I will sent you the manual in a pdf attachment.

Post Number: 4
I do have service manual for C541i. It is really very similar to C542 but unfortunately all elements are numbered in quite different way and circuit layout is a bit different which makes it hardly useful for my purposes. But thanks.
Do you by any chance have Verbatim Pastel CDR? It would be great if anybody tried to burn Pastel CDR and play it in C542 player.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1170
Sorry, I haven't used any CDR's in my player as yet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Dmitry, I will try to buy some Verbatim Pastel CDR and will try it...I will keep you informed...

Post Number: 5
Thanks, Arnold. It will be very nice of you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Dmitry, sorry it took so long but today I bought the Verbatim you mentioned and burned some music, it works fine! No problem at all reading the CD...maybe it's time to bring it to the dealer and have it check....

regards,
arnold

Post Number: 6
Thanks a lot, Arnold.

Post Number: 7
Arnold, could you tell me which CD recorder did you use and what CD burning software (name and version)?

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Record Now Plus version 7.3

Post Number: 8
For those who will ever face difficulties with reading verbatim pastel CD-Rs on C542:
in my case this doesn't occur with every CD-R. Moreover, it doesn't depend on CD-R only. It require combination of CD-R (any pastel disc) and specific audio image file (image of Audio-CD). So far I found only few images causing the problem. They are:
Bill Evans Trio - Waltz For Debby (caused problem only when recordered with Nero 6.XX).
Stevie Wonder - Definitive Collection 2CDs. Both CDs are problematic. For the moment I have 8 CDs recordered on different recorders with various software (Nero 6, 7, BlindWrite) and they all are unplayable in my NAD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us