Not enough power?

Username: Bigdish87

Frankford, On Canada

Post Number: 6
My previous post somehow got lost,anyway today i went to best buy and bought the JBL theater pkg.When i got home after unpacking everything i noticed that the Stadium towers Max watts are 225 with a contiuous peak power handling of 110/440 wattsalso the 12 sub has 500 watts of peak power with 250 watts rms.My new yamaha htr 5960 out put is 100 wattsx7.I guess i am in trouble? I can still take it back and get a smaaler set >thanks tom

Silver Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 129
listen to them first and see, that amp will push the speakers just fine

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12831
You'll be fine.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9739

Yamaha and Stadium Towers and you think he'll be "fine"?! Yeeeeesh!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12834
Fine is relative???

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1118
What - your uncle Berny?

Actually, for a budget package Tom, you did okay. It's not audiophile type gear to some, so long as it pleases you. I agree the watts don't matter, and that amp will be fine with those speakers (they are quite sensitive) - just don't ever turn the amp/receiver all the way up just beacause you think the speakers have all these incredible watts - it don't work that way.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5788
Tom, stepping up at a good price involves a lot of listening and shopping. More with your ears than your eyes on forums.
The power numbers are not a concern, the delivery is.
Listen for a good long while, run the system as MUCH as you can to run it in.
Avoid high listening levels for 100 hours or so.
Experiment with speaker placement and the way your room reacts to the music.

Again, the placement and the room.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/articles/hccarticles/interviews/FloydToole/Floyd Toole.php

Frankford, On Canada

Post Number: 7
Thanks everyone,Whew what a sigh of relief,so the sub should be okay too?I am hooking it up tomorrow,I have been waiting for a wk. 1/2 to hook up the yamaha.These speakers sound great in the store but the salesman said they will probably sound different at home.I just finished bottling up my wine and will toast all you people with a glass.Thanks again.Tom

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1120
Speakers sound different in different rooms - size, materials, shape etc, etc. You can learn about room acoustics, speaker set up placement (see above), etc by Googling the subject or searching audio forums and websites. Yep, the sub should be no problem also. But it sounds like your'e on a learning curve here so good luck, have patience in setting up (do use your manual lol!), and happy listening.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 373
Small changes in speaker/sub location will result in different performance as well, some good, some not. Experiment.

Frankford, On Canada

Post Number: 8
Thanks again everyone i am a newbie to this 7.1 stuff mr.Friday is the setup date and will post the results.Thanks Tom (wine sure did taste good)

Frankford, On Canada

Post Number: 9
Well i got them all hooked up,and they sound beautiful to my deaf ears.One problem i am having for the life of me i cnnot get that remote to work (even after i put in batteries)Do you have to put the code in it.All it does is light up,i have to run the receiver controls on the front.Is it possible someone can tell me what i am doing wrong.Never had that happen before.Thanks a lot .Tom

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1124
Check that there isn't an amp (or receiver) button on the remote unit as it may control other Yamaha devices as well. Good luck and glad it sounds great to you.

Frankford, On Canada

Post Number: 10
Thanks M.R. figured it out after loosing my hair.Had to set the reciever to some kind of figuration ,why i don't but it will come to me.Thanks Tom
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us