Accoustic Energy AE1 Signature

Username: Argol

Post Number: 8
I'm about to buy second hand bookshelf speakers: Accoustic Energy AE1 Signature.

I'll drive them with the following combination:

CD player : NAD C542
Préamp : NAD C162
Amp : NAD C272

Is that a good choice of speakers?
Has anyone tried those AE1?
Are they difficult to drive?

I have a small room (25m^2) so book shelf speakers might fit my needs.
I hear mostly to classical music at a lower volume.

Thanks in advance for comments, help and advises.

Regards,

Thomas.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5745
Thomas, they have a nominal 8-10 ohm impedence, with a minimum of 5.8ohms.
The XO is third order, which is not a problem, although time coherence is up to your opinion.

They are easy to drive from those specs, and your Nad could drive a more difficult load without any problems.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5746
Look for really good matching stands.

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 48
From what I have recently read (I got interested in this brand, because I recently bought Acoustic Energy EVO3 speakers), these speakers like a lot of space around them, so they're not at their best in small rooms.
That said, my AE EVO 3's aren't particularly suited for small rooms either, but I have no complaints about booming bass and a lack of soundstage.

But what's more important from the reviews I read is that these AE1 signature monitors are highly revealing and obviously like very good and expensive electronics (amp, cd player) to sound good.
I think these speakers are in a different class than your NAD equipment, they were sold for $4000 or more at that time.
(The newer improved AE1 MKIII cost $3500)
And I guess you don't want to buy these speakers to eventually replace your amp and cd player for something better and more expensive.

I think your NAD gear will have no trouble driving them, but I'm not sure it if it will sound that great, but you have to try it out for yourself.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1494
There's a nice review on them at www.6moons.com and yeah your gonna need the new Nad Master series to do them justice if your going with Nad and i've heard them on a few occasions they are pretty awsome.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 2859
Tawaun

Hay, Tawaun, nice to see that your still around, I'll leave you to it mate, nice seeing you.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1506
Hey,whats going on Andy,I always come back home,my audio career has just been taking off lately,so i dont have as much time to be here as much as would like to,I'm over at avs a lot,for buisness mostly but its a bunch jerks over there that really make it unpleasant I hope it gets a bit more active over here though, im glad to see you back Mate!!!

Username: Golden_ear

Post Number: 3
I bought the new Yamaha HS50M active studio monitors to mix my music. Man these are better than any Hi-Fi speakers I have ever used. They are designed by the legendary designer Akira Nakamura, the man behind the legendary NS1000M and NS10M monitors used in recording studios worldwide. This year Yamaha HS series was awarded a Technical GRAMMY along with NS10M monitors. The price for a pair is around $400 but these are bi-amped active monitors so you won't need a power amp(and speaker cables). You can feed them directly from the outputs of your CD player and they will sound very dynamic and transparent with deep accurate bass and smooth silky treble. If you get a pre-amp they will sound more agile. I'm listening to jazz on them, they sound like $5000 pair electrostatic speakers, they are that good. Yamaha also makes matching powered subwofers for HS50Ms and I am thinking about adding 2 subwofers(one for each channel).

Bronze Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 66
enough abt ur yamaha hs50m's man, i keep hearing abt ur monitors and how good they r... getting tired of the same old story of urs..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us