Running a JLAudio 10w7 in a home theater, looking for amp

Username: Xanthan

Post Number: 1
I have a JL 10w7 that I use to have in my car system before I totalled it. I am now setting up a home audio system and since this beautiful sub is now just collecting dust I was trying to incorperate it into my system.

The subwoofer needs 500-600watts RMS to sound decent (800-1000 would be optimum), it has a 1.5ohm load, both of which have caused me problems locating a home 110v amplifier to push it properly. I am not looking to use a car amplifier indoors with a AC/DC converter or anything like that. Are there any home amplifiers that can handle this monster sub?

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1367
reroute the internal wires on the sub for 3 ohms and use a plate amp like this:http://www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo_product.htm#350se

Username: Xanthan

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the link, but I think I might just go with a Velodyne MiniVee. The 10w7 is in a sealed box and it was in the box when I bought it. Due to the way the mounting screws are behind the rubber excursion ring I really don't want to take it out of the box for fear of damaging the sub.

Are there no 1.5 ohm stable home amplifiers that put out 500+ watts RMS?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5742
behringer?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1079
Sorry for interrupting but yes I know of at least one on here (Anthem P2), but that was going in a nice home stereo. I do know that that amp could power a fork from some of the reviews I've seen (and that's REALLY low impedance). They claim it stable down to DC, but the fork is the closest evidence I've seen. At 1.5 it'd put out like 1000w per channel (out of price range). Behringer makes some nice amps like that as well. So does Crown with their I-tech, but Behringer, I've seen a lot of people using those to power subwoofers because of their power and affordability, but what do I know?

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 383
Bryston

Username: Pkmaven

Boynton Beach, FL United States

Post Number: 8
Two considerations for using a boxed JL 10" car sub: What type of box? What impedance. Any high end amp could drive it (Bryston), but a home theater sub with plate amp like the Velodyne will solve the problem. P.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us