Which Receiver to Go with Paradigm Speakers?

Username: Allmusicathome

Post Number: 1
Newbie here, first post. I'm upgrading the post college stereo system. So far, the new speakers have been selected: a pair of Paradigm Esprit V.4 floor speakers and a pair of Paradigm Focus V.4 (bookshelf) speakers. They will be used for music listening exclusively. The room that they will be used in is L shaped, and thus the reason I use four speakers in it. The current receiver is by Sony - I'd like to upgrade it as soon as possible. A reasonable budget seems to be $500. I'd like to hook up my old speakers (Advent Prodigy Towers and Baby Advents (bookshelf)) in a second room, and use one receiver - the new one to be. And, I'd still like to be able to use the CD player and turntable with the new receiver. The AM/FM feature is desirable as well for we have a good independent FM station that we enjoy. Any suggestions for a new receiver that you may have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12739
For that budget, take a look at the Pioneer 1016.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3902
I just about posted that link Bernie. It's a multi channel reciever but probably the best in that price range combining all of what you appear to be looking for Karen.

2076_310069809_316743263%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/p roduct/details/0,,2076_310069809_316743263,00.html

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 217
This is the Integra DTR-4.6 receiver. It is more than your stated budget, at $600. But, if you can stretch your budget, I highly recommend this receiver. Many times, Integra and Paradigm are demoed together. They are a synergistic match, and sound VERY smooth together.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=DTR-4.6&class=Receiver&p=i

I apologise if this is more than you are willing to spend.

I will try to come up with something else later.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5740
Karen, what are your favorite songs?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5741
Depending on musical tastes and listening levels, there are any number of products that might match your personal listening.

Post Number: 2
We listen too many different artists, and tend toward modern rock with an emphasis on solo singers and acoustics, predominantly guitar. Among the CDs played lately are Gomez, Death Cab for Cutie, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and KT Tunstall. Mary Chapin Carpenter is a longstanding favorite as well. I don't anticipate ever listening to satellite feature, so I'd rather not have/pay for that feature if at all possible. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
Ok... than the Integra is pretty much out, as it is XM ready.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3908
It will be on all receivers shortly and you don't have to pay for the service if you don't want to. I didn't want or need it either....it's now the most listened to source in my house.

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
I was under the impression that the OP thought the components added to the cost of the receiver.

Art is correct. It is an optional service.

Post Number: 3
I realize that XM radio is an optional service. We've heard it in rental cars, and at relatives' homes, and realize some folks like it. It's just not for us. I had a salesperson tell me that the XM radio component adds cost to the receiver, which we can save by opting for one without it. Maybe we were given incorrect information? The Paradigm dealer around here pairs the Paradigm speakers with Denon or NAD. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3915
"I had a salesperson tell me that the XM radio component adds cost to the receiver, which we can save by opting for one without it."

Wrong.

There are about 4 brands (short of the high end AVR's like B&K) that don't have XM on their receivers NAD, Arcam, Rotel and Outlaw. All of these brands least expensive recivers are higer price than the ones we have recommended. They also sound better but that's another story. The XM is just another standard feature on mass market receivers just like AM/FM. Your sales person is deluded.

NAD and Marantz are very nice with Paradigm. I've owned both combinations. One of my local dealers sells these together. Denon also works well. Marantz has a more robust power supply than Denon and NAD is a step up from Marantz.

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 18
art hk and paradigm are a bad combo???

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3920
Some folks think that it is because they are both somewhat laid back. I only see that as a problem if you're 25 yrs old and more interested in "boom and sizzle" than long term listenability. I haven't listened to them together but don't see why it would be a problem.

Post Number: 4
My local Paradigm dealer tells me that nothing under $500 will drive the four Paradigm speakers that I would like to use in the L shaped room, and the Advent speakers in another room. I'm told that the Denon DRA397 is the least expensive available option to drive only the two pairs of Paradigm speakers. Any feedback? Thanks.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3926
What 4 Paradigm speakers are looking to use? He may be right.

Post Number: 6
I'd like to use one pair of Paradigm Focus v.4 and one pair of Paradigm Esprit v.4 in the L shaped room.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3932
The Pioneer 1016 will drive them just fine. Especially since you will likely be using a powered sub.

Post Number: 7
Please forgive what may be a stupid question. I'll be using the Paradigm speakers only for music. They will not be used for a home theater system. I checked out the Pioneer 1016 receiver, and see that it's a 7.1 channel receiver. Do I need a 7.1 channel receiver to listen to music from CDs, a turnatable and FM radio? Thnaks.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 360
Chuck- If you are only looking to drive two speakers (which I assume you are), then you don't need a 7.1 receiver. If you already have a FM tuner, all you need is an integrated amplifier. If you have no FM tuner, you need a stereo receiver (or an integrated amplifier + tuner).

Post Number: 8
I'm looking to drive the following speakers:

1 pair of Paradigm Esprit v.4
1 pair of Paradigm Focus v.4

I have a Sony receiver, that I am looking to replace. It is connected to a pair of Advent Prodigy Tower speakers and a pair of Baby Advent bookshelf speakers. I would prefer not to use the Sony receiver with the Paradigms, and may not even be able to do so if it is not powerful enough. Optimally, I would like to have a new receiver to drive all four Paradigms in an L shapped room, as well as two Advents in another room. I realize this may not be possible to do with one receiver due to budget. So, my focus is on one receiver that has enough power to drive the four Paradigms at the very least. My local Paradigm dealer told me that the least priced would be the Denon 397 to drive the four Paradigms. I'm wondering if there are other options. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 362
To get proper quadrophonic sound without taxing your equipment, you might want to go with a receiver. Also, for the second set of speakers you will want a zone 2 output and potentially a second amplifier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us