A/V receiver selection for 1080 P TV

Username: Scott_redinger

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a Sony KDL-46XBR2 1080P television but currently have no 1080P sources. I am looking for an A/V receiver that is compatible. I am leaning toward the Onkyo TX-SR604B but I am concerned that it may not have enough bandwidth to handle 1080P in the future. Is this a valid concern? I suppose if it is I can always run a 1080P video source directly to the TV and the sound to the receiver, right?

Also, I have the Bose Acoustimass 5 speakers that I will be using for the front speakers. Will 5.1 work properly if the subwoofer is connected through the right and left front speaker as is required with the Acoustimass speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1135
Having the receiver switch HDMI is definitely a bonus, especially with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Currently running HDMI to a receiver is the best way to get lossless sound from the new codecs - DD+, True HD, DTS HD... If running through toslink or coax it will be a downmixed version until receivers start hitting the market with onboard decoding for these new formats.

I'd personally make sure all your components work together before settling on a purchase.

BTW, unless your TV is HDMI 1.3 and can do deep color, etc. bandwidth will not be an issue.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us