Would a amp make a difference?

Silver Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 219
So, I've had my home theater for about six months now and I'm thinking about in the next month or two making a addition or two. Right now I have all paradigm speakers, monitor 9 fronts, monitor 3 rears, a cc370 center and a pw2100 sub. I'm using a marantz sr7500. I love the system, for movies, tv and music its amazing. When listning to music, I only use stereo with my sub. My question is, would the addition of a amp, either a 2 channel (fronts only) or a home theater amp (7 channel) make a noticble difference in quality, even slightly? I was looking at the nad 2 channel amps specifically. I dont think a big 7 channel is a good idea because for tv and movies, what I ahve is deffinitly plenty. Im looking to get more quality out of my music though. Is the money I will spend really going to be worth it?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3893
Even a 2 channel amp (and the NAD would be a good match) would siginificantly improve your sound. It would not only provide more current to your mains but also free up some power from your receiver for the rest of the system.

Silver Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 220
Would it be really stupid to get 2 2 channel amps and bridge them? or to bi-amp my mains?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5728
Jeff, there is no stupid here.
I think that bridging would be counterproductive, going on the advise that I was given with the same question.
Bridging brings up the issue of combing(frequency cancellatio) as described to me by Frank Abela.
The bi-amping will dedicate an amplifier to just the high drivers, using a large powerful amp for really 10w of sound.

I think that unless you are using balanced connection throughout the system, the bi-amp might not do as much as you think.

Then again, multiple amps are SOOOO cool.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3895
Multiple amps are cool but probably overkill for your system. One good 2 channel amp for the frots will provide a huge benefit. Perhaps you can borrow one and give it a test drive.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9710

" ... what I ahve is deffinitly plenty. Im looking to get more quality out of my music though."

J.C.M.H. - Please tell us what "more quality" means to you. A blanket statement suggetsing a separate power amp will "provide a huge benefit" is overkill, if not under analysis. You might not hear any difference, let alone an improvement, by buying a separate power amplifier. I don't know what more you might want from the system when you state, "I love the system, for movies, tv and music its amazing." What beyond "amazing" could you possibly want?

As always, please, do not respond by saying you want tighter bass, clear mids and clean highs. Think about what is making your music reproduction system not remind you of live music and let us know what needs to be there to bring the two experiences closer together.

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 171
make a significant difference in quality? no. make a difference sure.. The quality of sound will be determined imo by the marantz 7500's pre/pro section and an amplifier will just amplify this to the point at which your getting the most out of your receiver. if you add a power amp to the marantz you will still get the marantz "sound" amplified so that you "hear" what was intended by your speakers contingent on what the marantz pre/pro section will provide to you. Basically if you like the marantz house sound, imo you "could" benifit from having an external power amplifier added to the mix. This is my humble opinion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us