What does this really mean?

Bronze Member
Username: Brettw

Post Number: 15
Hi,
I've got a Yamaha htr 5840 amp and I'm trying to run 2 Mission floor speakers on channel B and 4 speakers on channeel A. The channel B, Missons speakers are rated @ 25 to 250 watts and they sound a little too quiet for my taste. If I crank up the amp to bring up the Mission speakers, then the other speaker get a bit too loud.
My amp info says
6.1-Channel, 600W Powerful Surround Sound (85W x 6 RMS)
So,

What does this amp info really boil down to? The Missions speakers sound quieter even with channel A not running. Is this amp big powerful enough to drive the Mission speakers? everything is 8 ohm on my system. Will be adding a good powered sub soon.

thanks, sorry for all the questions,
brett w

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5723
Brett, you are dealing with speakers of differing sensitivities. IE, how loud per watt.
The fact that your Yamaha will even run paralleled 8ohm loads is better than I would expect.

The receiver info is worth exactly squat. Ignore it. Also ignore the wattage placard on the speakers. Again, squat.
It is how the receiver presents itself to your ears that matters. Speakers go through so many different phase angles and impedence curves that all advertised values are worth, yes, squat.

The speakers generate their own voltage, and feed that back(via the crossovers) to the amplifier built into the receiver.

If it works, let it be.
However, my guess is that the Yammy is going to protest in short order.
And that protest may be very very quiet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Nuck,
LOL,
you made me laugh, thanks,
now if the Yammy melts down it will be a pain to rewire everything but, I HAVE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY, and chances are that I can get a better amp this time. Problem is this all Best Buy stuff so, if I end up needing a new amp, what do they have that better?
thanks agian,
Brett

Gold Member

Post Number: 5725
Brett, better is a relative term.
Whatever is better for you, then is better.

If your present setup is good for you, then it is good.

I could throw out a dozen name brands, but should that matter to you?

Nope.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I see your pt, but what I'm looking for is something better at Best Buy, that I'll buy if this Yammy melts.
this is what they have:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat03031&type=category

Gold Member

Post Number: 5732
Some advertiser has a H/K 3380 stereo receiver for 200 bucks here.
Try one of those.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us